DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Shure mixer question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/142491-shure-mixer-question.html)

Tom Sheats January 27th, 2009 08:04 AM

Shure mixer question

After lurking anonymously on this excellent site for several years, I finally have a question to post.

I have a Shure M367 mixer (circa 1996) that recently died -- to quote the late Marlin Perkins -- "suddenly and without warning." I tried replacing the fuse, but that didn't resolve the problem.

My question: Aside from replacing the fuse, are there quick and easy fixes I can try before I pack the thing off to a repair facility?

Perhaps an even better question: Is it even worthwhile to spend approx. $200 to repair a 13-year-old piece of equipment?

Andy Tejral January 27th, 2009 08:16 AM

Was the fuse blown or did you just replace it to see if it would help? Have you been inside and seen anything toasted? (Sorry, but I have no idea what your skill level is.)

Shure makes good stuff. If you still use it, its probably cheaper to repair than replace. Might be hard to find an exact replacement nowadays.

If memory serves, you probably won't get your unit back but a fully refurbished one. That was not for that model but another Shure mixer.

Tom Sheats January 27th, 2009 08:28 AM

Shure mixer problem

I don't know that the fuse was blown, I simply replaced it hoping that would resolve the problem. No, I haven't looked inside the unit, as my skill level is minimal.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Daniel Epstein January 27th, 2009 08:52 AM

Repair costs at Shure are often fixed price but the prices have changed from being a no brainer to maybe not such a good deal. It depends on the product. It is worth giving them a call even though the product is discontinued. They may recommend a repair shop. Most shops will give you an estimate as to how much it would cost to repair something. The price of the repair could dictate whether you should be looking for a replacement piece of gear used or new.

Tom Sheats January 27th, 2009 11:02 AM

I did call Shure and asked them the question I originally asked today and was told to send the unit to a repair facility in the Chicago area along with a check for between $150 to $200. (All this happened before the holidays, so I'm a little hazy on the details.) I'm under the impression that this amount is just to diagnose the problem and perform minor repairs and that the final repair bill could be much higher. I believe I asked if there was a recommended repair shop in Atlanta and got no response to that question.

To be more specific about the fuse, it appeared to be not blown, but I replaced it anyway, to no avail.

Strangely when I got home the day all this happened, I set everything up and the mixer seemed to work fine. But before I went on my next job, I tried it again and there was no sign of life, and it hasn't worked since.

I went to a music store and bought a mixer to use at least as a stop-gap. So I'm not completely without a mixer, but I would like to repair the Shure if it's not cost prohibitive.

Eric Darling January 27th, 2009 11:29 AM

It's so old, you might want to consider sending it to an independent shop for a look. Trew Audio in Nashville normally handles my repairs, and they charge a smaller diagnostic fee, which is then applied toward the final repair bill if I elect to proceed. Those guys are highly recommended, FWIW.