[Post] Mixing for the Silver Screen - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Understood, I misinterpreted you regarding levels. As for noise reduction, I'd say just use it judiciously trying your best to not hear the processing. I've never run into a figure regarding noise floor, most likely because it depends on the style of film. When I have to use noise reduction I go in small passes with a couple of different tools, I back off once I can hear the processing. I may have to mask with ambience but that too is dependent on the material. The feature I'm currently working on is mostly outside so I have little noise reduction I have to do as I can bring up backgrounds to compensate (that and it was recorded really well!). Hope that helps, this thread is fun as I've mixed features and shorts in stereo but I'm doing my first in surround, I'll be looking forward to hearing how yours turns out! john.

PS. Regarding noise reduction, if you don't have it and can afford another tool, Izotope RX is the way to go.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Izotope RX could be the ticket. The Sound Forge NR is good on 80-90% of our material, but there are a couple of scenes where the noise is ugly, and the processing obvious.

I've got three situations: hiss, HVAC and traffic.

The hiss removal is really good, and I can cover things with music, background sweetener drones, and just the right amount of NR.

The HVAC is obnoxious. It sounds really ugly, and when removed, I can hear a muddy background, like people talking, a radio, or TV on some of our takes. It burbles in and out, and wasn't noticeable until the HVAC was removed. Unless I find a better solution, ADR here we come.

The traffic isn't too bad, but varies, due to our short takes and edits. Listen to the noise, and you can tell how we grouped our shots. While I could grab a single hiss sample, I had to process the traffic stuff line by line. It's usable though. The NR isn't too obvious. Maybe I'll mix in some crickets, more consistent traffic noises and dogs barking in the distance.

It's funny. The average person will claim not to know the difference between good audio and so-so audio, but play some bad audio in a movie theater, and they know it's bad straight away. Make it too quiet, and they'll yell, "we can't hear it." Make it too loud and they'll wince.

People are better judges of audio than they give themselves credit for.
Old November 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
By the way, here's a link to the calibration page on the Blue Sky monitor website where you'll find the required test files available for free download. Blue Sky

Steve
Files were moved--they are now here: Blue Sky Blog Archive Blue Sky Calibration Test Files

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio