Budget mixers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Budget mixers

hs anyone used or seen a review on this:

PSC DV PROMIX 3 - Portable 3 Channel Field Production and ENG Mixer

PSC | DV PROMIX 3 - Field Mixer | FPSCDVMIX3 | B&H Photo Video

Has anyone compared it to the Sign Video ENG-44 4-Channel Portable Field Audio Mixer?

Sign Video | ENG-44 Field Audio Mixer | ENG44 | B&H Photo Video

Both have a tone osc.....seems like the Sign Video is a bit better for the extra money....although the headphone jack is XLR

thoughts? feedback?

Thanks
Steve Minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Trustee

I have the sign video mixer and it is good value and works very well.

The headphone jack is an 1/8in mini jack and the XLR you mention is just so you can feed a boom op with a sep feed.

It is quiet and gives a good sound if used with care, the on board limiter is OK too and the only criticism I have is that some of the switches are a bit feeble.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary...the feedback is much appreciated
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Here are some reviews of the Professional Sound Corporation DV Promix 3.

Test Bench: Professional Sound Corp. DV Promix 3 Portable Audio Mixer

Jay Rose also reviewed it for DV Magazine a whole time ago, but I can't find the test anymore.

Use the search function on this forum, because I can remember some issues with that SignVideo mixer.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I remember the Jay Rose review as well. Pity their archive is no longer available. From what I remember, he thought the Promix3 was pretty good, and a very good value for the money.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm using the Sign Video mixer, and our regular sound guy seems to be fine with it. I'll try to get him (Chris Swanberg), a member here, to respond to you directly. He is out of town today.
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Major Player

I use the PSC dv promix 3 and like it ... it's no 302, but does the job ..wish list would be to monitor each mike separately if needed, but I can do that before recording by turning down the levels on the other two..not ideal but it works .. I like the headphone return so that I can feed my camera (or other recorder) back to the mixer, and then monitor either the camera or the mixer .. build quality seems good for the $
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Steve,

I own an ENG-44, and I'm very happy with it -
but don't take my word, since I'm not an audio guy
(just your average Jack-of-all-trades).
Here's a review of the ENG-44 by Ty Ford
(you can take HIS word):
Anyone ever heard of Sign Video audio mixers? - The Digital Video Information Network

Best

Vasco
Old February 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I've got a Promix DV 3 and am quite impressed with it. I bought it for a one-off job where I didn't want to risk my 302 and have kept it as a spare.

It ain't a 302 but for less than $500 it does the job. My only criticisms are that (a) the LEDs are too bright and you can't dim them (a bit of dark gel does the job) and (b) the pre-amps are a bit lacklustre in "c" mode.
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Ac adapt?

Does the PSC Promix 3 come with an ac adapter? The Sign Video lists the adapter as included but there is no mention on the Promix side. Anybody that has one can you tell me if it ships with it or do you have to purchase it separately?

Thanks
Steve
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Steve,

I own a PSC DV Promix 3, and it does not come with an AC adapter. You can purchase this seperately everywhere.

Mine is powered by a V-mount camera battery with a PowerTap connector. I made myself a short cable that I can plug into the bottom of the mixer so that don't have to pull everything out of the KATA audio organizer when the two 9 Volt batteries are dead.

When I have some more time I'll make some pictures of it.
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Here are some pictures from my PSC DV Promix 3 with the V-mount battery in another thread.

This is not the battery that I actually use. This Sony BP-L90A doesn't have a PowerTap connection. The one that I do use is on the charger. :-)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1012486-post13.html
Old February 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey:Not trying to steal your thread

I'm looking for a mixer myself but can't seem to figure out exactly which one to get. I wanted to go with one of the Shure mixers but upon searching on here I see a lot of mixed/biased responses. So if anyone is using the Shure FP41 or 32 how are you liking it? I wish I had the funds to get a Sound Devices 302. Not trying to steal your thread but I felt it would be insane to create a whole new thread that is going to be similar to this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Nicole
www.myspace.com/misscc803
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #14
New Boot

The ProMix 3 is a good mixer with a few issues...

Like a few others said it has REALLY bright LEDs that cant be dimmed, I would love to be able to pan slightly to L/R for a safety if I'm only using 1 mic instead of the hard L/C/R switch, 1/8" headphone jack (headphones just easily pull out), finally it has really hot outputs - mine is normally set to -10 and the camera on line input.

While it's no FP33 or 302 it is a great sub $500 mixer. I keep one with my gear as a backup in case anything ever happens to my primary, and would have no problem using it in a pinch.

-Joe
Joe Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Major Player

I think in today's world it is safe to say that Sound Designs offerrings are the gold standard. They are also not inexpensive,but in their case I think you largely get what you pay for.

On the indie budget side we have some rather slim pickings I am afraid. The guts that mean the most to me are the mic preamps for starters. I am glad to say that the ENG 44's pre amps are excellent IMHO. I have some experience using SD products and they are built like tanks, and well engineered in every sense. However, I cannot say that the ENG-44's pre amps are any noisier than SD's and in fact seem every bit as good, and they seem to be pretty stout in build as well. That said let's talk briefly about the ENG-44, which is one of your interests.

The ENG-44 is well built. There are features everyone likes to hate (like the ease with which the master control can be accidentally bumped). There are some others hate and I like (like the line-mic switches being recessed).

You can record some seriously good sound using the ENG-44 and not be fighting it the whole time.... or working around shortcomings. You may need to adapt some things in how you work with your mixer if you are used to other mixers, but I think that is always the case. For example, the LED meter on the ENG-44 seems to be instantaneous, and so I don't freak on transients into the yellow. (I also set up my recorder to leave headroom anyway) I think the limiter is a weak link, but for the price I think the ENG-44 fits the indie budget nicely, and performs well, or better than its pricepoint.

For more here is a link: Guide to ENG 44 Mixer

In short I am a fan of the ENG-44.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio