DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   recording audio with free run or rec run mode, how to get time code on daw (WAVELAB) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/143276-recording-audio-free-run-rec-run-mode-how-get-time-code-daw-wavelab.html)

David Aliperti February 7th, 2009 09:38 AM

recording audio with free run or rec run mode, how to get time code on daw (WAVELAB)

HI I IMPORTED ON WAVELAB some audio files that i recorded on fostex pd6, i expected to read time code on wavelab, i recorded in 24h mode, and I supposed to find the time code track with the clock on the time line, but i found just the ABS time. did i miss something

Steve House February 7th, 2009 10:12 AM

AFIK, Wavelab doesn't read the BWF file timestamp. I find no mention that it does in the manual.

David Aliperti February 7th, 2009 10:18 AM

who reads? protools? i tryed with nuendo also.

Steve House February 7th, 2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1008196)
who reads? protools? i tryed with nuendo also.

Adobe Audition, Sony Vegas to name two. What6 are you trying to accomplish in an editing, mastering application like Wavelab where you need to have the file start timestamp aligned to the timeline?

David Aliperti February 7th, 2009 11:16 AM

what's the pourpose of manage with free run or 24 h run when what i see is that all editors use to synk audio to video just by slate or hand claps (in vry low budget short movies)

Steve House February 7th, 2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1008220)
what's the pourpose of manage with free run or 24 h run when what i see is that all editors use to synk audio to video just by slate or hand claps (in vry low budget short movies)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you trying to align an audio file with a video that it's supposed to match? Do the audio and video files have identical timecode, where you've sent code from the camera to the recorder or vice versa? If they don't, there's no point anyway.

David Aliperti February 7th, 2009 11:38 AM

no there was no synced camera, at the moment I wanted only to figure out how a time code track could be readed, it was just an experiment, (sorry form my bad bad writing), i recorded some files in 24h mode on fostex pd6 and thought that whene i would have opened them with wavelab or nuendo i could have readed on timecode bar the time related at audio file but i readed only the abs time

David Aliperti February 7th, 2009 12:07 PM

i found this page related bwf and timecode

Working with BWF audio in FCP

Steve House February 7th, 2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Aliperti (Post 1008228)
no there was no synced camera, at the moment I wanted only to figure out how a time code track could be readed, it was just an experiment, (sorry form my bad bad writing), i recorded some files in 24h mode on fostex pd6 and thought that whene i would have opened them with wavelab or nuendo i could have readed on timecode bar the time related at audio file but i readed only the abs time

Well, as you discovered, not all applications can read the BWF timestamp and automatically position the clip on the timeline based on it. Nuendo will import a clip so the file start is placed to align with the timeline playhead cursor. One workaround you might explore is to get a copy of a program called BWF Widget. It allows you to read the timecode in the file's header. Read the code and make a note of it, then go into your audio program, position the playhead cursor at the corresponding spot on the timeline, and import the audio file to the timeline.