DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Lavalier (tie clip) mic recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/143332-lavalier-tie-clip-mic-recommendations.html)

Brendan Pyatt February 8th, 2009 08:22 AM

Lavalier (tie clip) mic recommendations

Hi,

I originally posted this query in the V1U forum but i think its better i ask this in here.

I am looking for a decent lavalier mic that I can use with my Sony V1. I want it to do interviews when I am traveling - so weight is important. Ideally I would like it to power itself from the XLR socket on my cam.

Something like the Sony ECM-55B but without the battery power adapter / unit.

James Harring February 8th, 2009 09:03 AM

Lav-cheap option

I can think of a number of "majors" with excellent options.
Just thinking if you are like me, I use lav's infrequently. Bought a giant-squid-audio-lab.com lav with unbalanced inputs. May want to look there... If you intend to use it frequently, I doubt this would hold up as well as a Senn, countryman or Sony, any of which are good choices.

Incidentally, Rycote makes some one-use windscreens that work pretty well on Lavs.

Steve House February 8th, 2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 1008617)
Hi,

I originally posted this query in the V1U forum but i think its better i ask this in here.

I am looking for a decent lavalier mic that I can use with my Sony V1. I want it to do interviews when I am traveling - so weight is important. Ideally I would like it to power itself from the XLR socket on my cam.

Something like the Sony ECM-55B but without the battery power adapter / unit.

You're going to have to have something like that power supply unit to take the 48v phantom power from your XLR mic inputs and convert it to the approximate 5v power the mic's all require. You also will want to use an XLR cable to run from the subject wearing the lav back to your camera - the mic cable coming out of the capsule won't be long enough by itself - and you'll need the adapter to provide the XLR connector to plug to the extension cable. If you have a lav that is prewired to go to a wireless transmitter you could get one of the "Eumel" adapters made by Ambient and it's quite a bit smaller than the power supply illustrated with the Sony mic.

Brendan Pyatt February 8th, 2009 12:38 PM

thanks.
its seems the xlr cable alone would be heavy to travel with!
it might not be super high quality but it receives good reviews - what about this one?

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR35s Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone

comes with a 20foot cable!

I just dont know how to connect to my cam that has xlr inputs???

Brendan Pyatt February 8th, 2009 12:44 PM

i guess this would do?

Keene Electronics

Steve House February 8th, 2009 01:01 PM

Sure, it would work.

Brendan Pyatt February 10th, 2009 01:25 PM

Hi,

I have the 3.5 to xlr adapter but it doesnt appear to work on my v1e. The mic works - i checked it on another non xlr cam. So I guess there is an issue with my v1e and the 3.5 to xlr adapter...
Anyone have any ideas ??

thanks.

John M. McCloskey February 10th, 2009 01:39 PM

After using Lectrosonic, Sony, Countryman, and Sanken. The Tramm TR50 is a dream come true. Highly recommend the Tramm.

Guy Cochran February 10th, 2009 02:55 PM

Countryman B6, Sanken COS-11, Sennheiser MKE-2 would be at the top of list - Dan Brockett did a nice write up Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"

Depending on the shoot, sometimes it's nice to have two lavs. A flat style like the Tramm or Countryman EMW. Or if you can find 'em, I'm diggin' on the Ricsonix Pin mic.

Steve House February 10th, 2009 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 1009817)
Hi,

I have the 3.5 to xlr adapter but it doesnt appear to work on my v1e. The mic works - i checked it on another non xlr cam. So I guess there is an issue with my v1e and the 3.5 to xlr adapter...
Anyone have any ideas ??

thanks.

What kind of adapter - 3.5mm to XLR doesn't say much. I'm betting the mic isn't getting power.

Brendan Pyatt February 10th, 2009 05:44 PM

Hi, Sorry for being vague!

The mic is powered itself - the ATR35 is a fairly low end mic. It works fine plugged into my prosumer cam details here: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR35s Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone

The XLR to 3.5 adatpter detailed here: RØDE Microphones

"The VXLR is used to convert a Mono 3.5 mm mini-jack to a 3 pin XLR"

As far as I can tell they should work together with my Sony V1e....

Steve House February 11th, 2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt (Post 1009942)
Hi, Sorry for being vague!

The mic is powered itself - the ATR35 is a fairly low end mic. It works fine plugged into my prosumer cam details here: Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR35s Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone

The XLR to 3.5 adatpter detailed here: RØDE Microphones

"The VXLR is used to convert a Mono 3.5 mm mini-jack to a 3 pin XLR"

As far as I can tell they should work together with my Sony V1e....

Sure ought to work ... check your camera settings is the first thing I can think of to make sure you're actually on the XLR inputs and they're set to mic and not line.

Rick Reineke February 11th, 2009 10:57 AM

If the mic is self-powered, it would have some kind of in-line battery or transformer module. (Unless it's dynamic) Otherwise a standard 1/8" to XLR-M adaptor would NOT works as most lavs need bias power, aka plug-in power.

Shaun Roemich February 11th, 2009 11:06 AM

Brendan: dumb question: is the battery in the enclosure installed correctly and has adequate power left in it? The website lists it as a condensor and therefore has a power source, ie. a battery. Otherwise, Steve may well be on the right track with the Mic vs. Line comment.

Battle Vaughan February 11th, 2009 12:08 PM

The ATR35s is self-powered with an A76 button battery, so it should work, where the Sennheiser and Tram mikes, which expect a small power from the recorder (3-5 volts, I believe) won't. Beware getting the button battery in backward --- the markings on the ATR35 case are hard to read. If you do, the mike will work --- badly --- and lead to head-scratching as to the problem, so watch the polarity.

Audio-Technica makes a variety of wired lavs that use a small power pack with an AA battery or phantom 48V....we have an AT803 that works fine with the Canon XHa1 phantom power.

We issue the ATR35s---good bang for the buck, imho --- with the Edirol R09 recorder kits that the reporters use.

If your camera has a 1/8" mike input you can use it directly, or with the Rode mini-to-xlr adapter that was mentioned previously...but only because it has it's own power supply, the Rode won't help you with a miniature lav that needs external power. /Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team