text to speech at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Major Player

text to speech

Hi, we are doing an animation, so we are thinking about the soundtrack to follow the animation, and well we need to record actors, but I was suggested that there is are some nice software that we can use to generate voice and it is good enough to do an animation on it, and later when whole thing is finished to record the final voice.

can you suggest any?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Levan ,

Not 100 % sure if this will suite you. I have used it with Poser and as a standalone.

Excellent results.

DAZ 3D - Mimic Pro
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

this seems like a nice software in general, but what I meant was I want a software to generate the voice. Say I want a character to say " hey how are you? ", I have to record an actor, so instead of recording an actor maybe there is a software where I type it and software generates a voice. you know like my mac has this feature but very unnatural, maybe there is something better than that.

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Trustee

This windows app sounds alright:

Text to speech software with Natural Voices-- Free NaturalReader

Mac Side:

Text to Speech Software with AT&T Natural Voices™, Acapela™, Nuance™ Voices

Voice Files for more options:

Cepstral Text-to-Speech

On OSX, in terminal:

Code:
say 'this is going straight to an audio file' -o ~/Desktop/test-audio.aiff
you can also use the -v tag to change voices and if you get really geeky about it, you can change the emphasis/ rates/ volumes/ at the phoneme level:

http://www.auc.edu.au/conf/conf03/pa...V2003_Woo2.pdf
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Cole McDonald

yes, this is what I mean, but is there anything of a better quality or should I not expect better than that?

www.sarke.ge
----------------
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Trustee

The best "better" would probably be to just record yourself or a friend, getting the timing and general feel. Then you can replace it with an actor.

However, a large part of the performance is the voice, and usually this is recorded first before any animation is done. This lets you take advantage of new ideas brought in by the voice, and it ensures that the animation perfectly matches what is being heard.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

A couple of years ago I attended the SIGGRAPH show in LA. The keynote speaker was George Lucas.

A question was asked about what breakthroughs he thought were required in animation software.

His answer was very interesting - he said that no breakthroughs were required, just improvements to known techniques because with the tools already available animatiors could fool your eyes.

Where he thought real breakthroughs were required was in the computer generation of emotionally convincing voice. He said that nothing he knew of, or was even on the distant horizon, could fool your ears.

Which is why live artists do the voices for animations, even with the kinds of budgets available to George Lucas.

I think you should record the voices yourself or have a trained person do it. I really doubt that you will get what I think you want from software, certainly any software a normal person could afford.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Major Player

well, thanks for info guys, I could not find a software, but now at least I know that there is no such :)

www.sarke.ge
----------------

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio