iRiver E100 help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

iRiver E100 help

Hi everyone,

Could anyone help me out with choosing the correct lav for the iriver e100.I need it for back up audio at a wedding this coming Sunday.I have the sennheiser g2 kit....do those lavs work in a standard 3.5mm mic input? probably not but just figured I'd ask.Any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks! Ryan
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've used my G2 mics (Tram, Countryman, Senn ME-2) without issue on Sharp minidisc recorders. So I would surmise it should work, providing the E100 provides plug-in power at the 1/8" input
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Problem is some iRivers use very non-standard wiring of the extrnal input jack, which I don't remember right off the top of my head. Search Google to see if you can track it down.
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Ryan,

I use the Giant Squid for my iriver. Here's a write up about Irivers with suggested microphones for use

iRiver Recorder for Video Production
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

great ...thanks everyone.I had to get everything ordered today so I wound up buying an at-199 lave with a xlr 3 pin connector.Then I got an adpeter from the xlr to the 3.5mm input.I think that will work......hopefully.The guy at b+h helped me out.Are the countryman lavs pretty good? I want ot replace the lav that came with my g2 kit.It's a little thin if ya know what I mean.Thanks again for all of your help!

Ryan
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morey View Post
great ...thanks everyone.I had to get everything ordered today so I wound up buying an at-199 lave with a xlr 3 pin connector.Then I got an adpeter from the xlr to the 3.5mm input.I think that will work......hopefully.The guy at b+h helped me out.Are the countryman lavs pretty good? I want ot replace the lav that came with my g2 kit.It's a little thin if ya know what I mean.Thanks again for all of your help!

Ryan
Countryman lavs are excellent, very high quality.

There may be a problem on your horizon. First is not all XLR->3.5mm cable adapters are wired correctly to begin with and second, the iRiver itself assigns non-standard functions to the tip, ring, and sleeve connections inside the jack. Not knowing exactly what you have, what's going to happen when you mix 'em together is anybody's guess. I mean, it won't explode but you may or may not hear any signal and if you do it may or may not sound any good.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Steve I wound up buying a yamaha POCKETRAK CX SD RECORDER.I wasn't sure I could trust the iriver.The guy at b+h said I should have no problems...but like you said I'll find out when I get it....wish me luck.

Thanks again,
Ryan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio