DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Acoustic Material and Mic Flags (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/143594-acoustic-material-mic-flags.html)

Matt Ratelle February 12th, 2009 06:25 AM

Acoustic Material and Mic Flags

I'm going to be starting an internet radio show/webcast/podcast and I'm putting together my studio. I know these are two very different topics, but it's 7am and I haven't slept yet, so making another post isn't an enticing option.

I'll need acoustic foam sheets for the walls. Can anyone suggest a good supplier with reasonable rates in Canada?

Same goes for mic flags. I've been considering just buying the blank flags and having decals made up, since the price of having it done professionally is through the roof. Can anyone give any advice on ordering flags and decals?

Steve House February 12th, 2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle (Post 1010732)
I'm going to be starting an internet radio show/webcast/podcast and I'm putting together my studio. I know these are two very different topics, but it's 7am and I haven't slept yet, so making another post isn't an enticing option.

I'll need acoustic foam sheets for the walls. Can anyone suggest a good supplier with reasonable rates in Canada?

Same goes for mic flags. I've been considering just buying the blank flags and having decals made up, since the price of having it done professionally is through the roof. Can anyone give any advice on ordering flags and decals?

Among others Long & McQuade and, in Toronto, Resolution Pro Audio are dealers for Auralex foam products

Battle Vaughan February 12th, 2009 10:03 AM

Don't know how many flags you need, but we made a half-dozen here by buying blank flags from B&H and making the image from our company logo in Photoshop...printed out on a color laser printer, cut with an exacto knife and glued to the flag with photo mount spray. Then after 24 hours to let the stuff dry we covered the paper with plastic laminating film from the office supply store. Probably not perfect but on camera, who can tell? And the price is right....Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Seth Bloombaum February 12th, 2009 10:58 AM

Did the same as Battle with an ink-jet printer and salvaged grey foam. Not the most durable, but it's working fine.

Foam can be cleanly cut with an electric carving knife. Any other method has been pretty troublesome for me.

Allan Black February 12th, 2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle (Post 1010732)

Matt if you're interested, once you get this rigged with the right mic, it actually
works well, cheap and portable to boot.

Harlan Hogan - Voice overs Narrations Commercials Promos

Cheers.

Andy Wilkinson February 12th, 2009 03:37 PM

Matt,

you'd better be interested after that many posts!!!! :-)

I think there has been a problem with the Forum tonight as I'm seeing mutiple posts all over after a period of not getting in (no worries, I spent the time visiting my pantry to get another beer).

Matt Ratelle February 12th, 2009 11:31 PM

I'm just really glad someone else deleted my double thread posting...I felt like a tool when I realized what had happened and couldn't figure out how to delete one of them.

I'm interested in the acoustic enclosure, and that may be the best option for right now, although it does look pretty unconventional.

We're looking at having two desks facing each other with the mics in between.

As for the flags, I think going the blank route is probably the best, although its still one hell of an investment. I would think that a lot of TV stations discard them after a while as they get scuffed up...would anyone know where I could get some used ones that I could put my own decals over?

Dean Sensui February 13th, 2009 03:07 AM

If weight of the flags aren't a big deal, you could fabricate them from wood.

Cut a block of the appropriate size. Use a hole saw to drill out a slightly oversized hole, and line the hole with some cheap foam to "clamp" onto the mic.

The block can be painted and decals attached.

You can print the logo with an inkjet printer: When printing with an Epson using semi-gloss or glossy paper, the result is surprisingly waterproof. I made business cards with them and the results were great. This would eliminate the need to laminate the design.

Chris Hurd February 13th, 2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1011073)
you'd better be interested after that many posts!!!! :-)

I think there has been a problem with the Forum tonight as I'm seeing mutiple posts all over after a period of not getting in (no worries, I spent the time visiting my pantry to get another beer).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle (Post 1011254)
I'm just really glad someone else deleted my double thread posting...I felt like a tool when I realized what had happened and couldn't figure out how to delete one of them.

Sorry about that guys -- our server wigged out yesterday. Thanks a ton for your patience while we dealt with that.

Mark Ganglfinger February 13th, 2009 07:59 PM

The best price you are going to get for acoustic foam is from Markertek. It's about 1/2 the price of any other foam, the drawback is that it is only available in ugly grey color.

Chris Swanberg February 13th, 2009 10:35 PM

I have seen some good buys on Auralex on E-Bay from time to time.

Matt Ratelle February 15th, 2009 08:06 AM

Thanks for the results so far everyone!