Earpiece overcovers for headphones? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Earpiece Overcovers? (Sony 7506 Headphones & Sound Isolation)

I have some Sony MDR 7506 Studio Monitor Headphones which are really excellent for camera work etc. except for one annoying thing - the thin faux leather covers on the ear pieces keep coming off the rim around the edge of each of the headphones ....and they are a pain/take time and care to get back on, especially in the middle of a shoot/in front of a bemused (and no doubt impatient!) corporate client.

Short of carefully glueing them on (which I might well do anyway) I believe it's possible to buy a pair of some kind of overcovers for headphones. I tried searching on here but no luck.

Anyone know anything about these and who in the UK might supply them? I'm going to the Broadcast Video Expo at Earls Court, London on Tuesday and would hope to be able to pick some up - once I know what I'm searching for. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; February 15th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Search for the "Garfield Headphone Softie"
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Trustee

As Rick said,

Garfield | Headphone Softie - Earpad Covers - Black | SGARHS1

Although some sound men think it changes the isolation factor for the earphones as it no longer cups the ear as well. I don't know if they have any English dealers/outlets.
If your old covers are still intact but loose you might be able to get a small thin rubber band to fit in the slot the covers are held in by to add some tension without glue. for about the same price as the softies you can also buy new covers from Sony which likely have more tension than the old ones.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Epstein View Post
As Rick said,

Garfield | Headphone Softie - Earpad Covers - Black | SGARHS1

Although some sound men think it changes the isolation factor for the earphones as it no longer cups the ear as well. I don't know if they have any English dealers/outlets.
If your old covers are still intact but loose you might be able to get a small thin rubber band to fit in the slot the covers are held in by to add some tension without glue. for about the same price as the softies you can also buy new covers from Sony which likely have more tension than the old ones.
I don't mean to blatantly hijack this thread, but how do you guys deal with the 7506s isolation in general? I've been using Senn. HD280's for quite a long time, but every now and then I attempt to make the switch to the 7506s. I find there just isn't enough isolation in comparison. Don't get me wrong, they sound great, but I find myself concentrating too much to differentiate between the actual talent's voice from the voice coming out of the headphones. Maybe I'm too used to the Senn.'s, but I enjoy the fact it's hard to hear anybody unless my mic is pointed in their direction.
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone... and Jeffery your clear to hijack it now as I've got my answer! (and I agree the isolation on the MDR 7506s is not as much as we might otherwise like). I've not compared them to the HD280s though but they were also on my shortlist a few months ago when I bought the Sonys which I did totally blind and based just on recommendations on here - a shock horror admission I know!!!! ;-)

Edit: I've changed the thread title to include the sound isolation point as well.

Edit 2: One other point on this, the reviews I read on the HD 280s suggested that the clamping pressure they exert on the ears might be uncomfortable in extended use. This of course might also help with the sound isolation! - but certainly I find the Sony's very comfortable even in extended use, if a little lacking in that specific area.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use a pair of Sennheiser CX-380 earphones.

Sennheiser Worldwide - Sport Headphones, CX 380 Sport II -

They're compact, have pretty good audio quality and good isolation. They're also weather resistant, which is important for the conditions in which I often work.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

this kind of stuff
Sanitary Stretchable Covers for Headphones - Enables Hygienic Headphone Sharing
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Petrol too

Petrol Bags
They have earphone covers as well.
Bernie
Bernie Beaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #9
New Boot

I have these replacement earcushions and like them much better than the ones that came on the 7506s.

Beyerdynamic | Padded Earcushions for DT250/DT280 | 942704 | B&H

Regards.
Jason Woodbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks everyone. I was unable to find the Garfield softies at the BVE event in Earls Courts, London yesterday so I have tried Daniel's suggestion with elastic bands - so far so good.

At least I've now got some other options in case that doesn't work!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio