DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   If you had to choose out of these 3 Lavs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/144382-if-you-had-choose-out-these-3-lavs.html)

Oliver Darden February 22nd, 2009 08:14 PM

If you had to choose out of these 3 Lavs

Which one would you pick? Say you were using it for a documentary feature film in many different situations, whether in a car, or in a situation where your subject is moving a lot or just formal interviews.

My budget is $299 or under.

1) Voice Technologies VT500
2) Audio-Technica AT899C
3) Tram TR50

I choose these 3 from my research on:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/lavs_brockett.html

I did my audio testing on a pair of Event ASP8's and these are the 3 mics that sounded best to my ears.

Wayne Brissette February 22nd, 2009 08:55 PM

It's not on your list, but I still go with the Sanken COS-11 lavs every time. It's the only lav I use (except when I have to rent, then I usually get stuck with the TRAMS). The Trams on your list are pretty good.

Wayne

Oliver Darden February 23rd, 2009 12:17 AM

Wayne, that's a bit out of my price range I think.

Andy Turrett February 23rd, 2009 05:45 AM

Cos11 should be right in your price range. Around $300. They are great sounding mics and the rubber mount makes them easy to hide.

Andy

Dan Brockett February 23rd, 2009 10:13 AM

I don't know Andy, BH shows U.S. $414.00 for the COS-11x kit. Have you checked with Trew or LSC? I have not, not sure what retails are.

Oliver, out of the mics you liked the best, I don't think you would go wrong with any of them but I personally have owned two of the Trams for going on 12 years, they are pretty solid. Not as small and easy to hide as the Countryman B6 but solid sound and pretty well built. Also cuts pretty well with a shotgun or hyper cardioid. I was actually surprised when I did the testing for the article, everyone always says how well the COS-11 cuts with shotguns, I thought the Tram cut more transparently with the shotgun/hyper than the Sanken did personally.

Dan

Battle Vaughan February 23rd, 2009 10:26 AM

The only one on your list I have used is the Tram, but it is very satisfactory. I have only lower-end AudioTechnica and Sennheisers to compare with, so this may not be helpful, but the Trams do have a good reputation. //Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team

Rick Reineke February 23rd, 2009 10:43 AM

The $414.00 for the COS-11x is probably for the hardwired XLR version.

Andy Turrett February 23rd, 2009 11:11 AM

The B&H price of $414 is for the Hardwired version. Based on Oliver's description he would be going wireless.

I've seen the Sanken cos 11 with just a pigtail cost around $299. It might cost a little more for the appropriate wireless connector to be soldered. I own B6s, Sonotrims (which are exactly like Trams but have better sonics) and Cos 11s. I mostly use the Cos 11s because they are a great sounding Lav and it is the most versatile and easiest to hide Lav of all the mics I own. I use the other Lavs I own too but I use the Sanken Cos 11 about 90 percent of the time.

Shaun Roemich February 23rd, 2009 11:42 AM

Thread Hijack Alert: I've used that site MANY times and I never realized it was "our" own Dan Brockett...

Perrone Ford February 23rd, 2009 11:46 AM

The Cos11x is $299 for pigtail at B&H. Then you have to buy the connector, and if you can't solder small fittings, pay someone else to do that. What have you saved?

Or he could buy a Countryman B3 for under $200, or a Countryman B6 for $299-$314 ready to go. Or the Tram, or the PSC, or the Sonotrim.

I would have loved the Sanken, but sometimes, you can only spend, what you can spend.

Andy Turrett February 23rd, 2009 01:03 PM

It should only cost another $25 to $40 max to have any Audio House solder the proper connector for you. I'm not sure if B&H does that but most other Audio House do. A Countryman B6 is nice but is very limiting and you won't be able to use it outdoors. I'm not familiar with the B3

Since Oliver will be using the Lav for Documentary I think the ease of hiding the Cos 11 will make up for the temporary pain of paying a few extra dollars.

Perrone Ford February 23rd, 2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Turrett (Post 1016994)
It should only cost another $25 to $40 max to have any Audio House solder the proper connector for you. I'm not sure if B&H does that but most other Audio House do. A Countryman B6 is nice but is very limiting and you won't be able to use it outdoors. I'm not familiar with the B3

Since Oliver will be using the Lav for Documentary I think the ease of hiding the Cos 11 will make up for the temporary pain of paying a few extra dollars.

Not to derail the thread, but why can't you use the B6 outdoors? Never heard that one before.

Oliver Darden February 23rd, 2009 02:47 PM

Could someone please provide me with a link on B&H to the COS-11x setup I would need to use with my xha1 (has phantom power) and Sennheiser ew500.

Dean Sensui February 23rd, 2009 02:47 PM

I was using the Countryman B3s but when I got the ATW-1800 system I wasn't able to find the wiring schematic to convert the B3's to use with the new mic system, so I had to use AT's 899CW mics.

To my surprise the 899CW's sound about as good as the Countryman mics. Seems well balanced, and they are just a little bigger than the Countryman B3s.

Rick Reineke February 23rd, 2009 03:40 PM

AT's 899 sounds IS a nice sounding mic. A little more prone to pick-up clothing and cable noise than the aforementioned Tram or COS IMO.

Oliver, if you wish to use a COS-11 hard-wired as well as with a the EW-500, you would need a phantom power module that has a 3.5mm TRS input and XLR out. I have TA-5 to XLR modules ( Lectro type plug) but have not seen a mini TRS to XLR . I suggest you contact Trew Audio, Location Sound Corp. or other Location audio specialty shops... unless someone on this forum has a solution.