Sony ex3-1 issue maybe.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony ex3-1 issue maybe....

Hello all

First post here so be gentle please

Mixing from a SD 442 via 10 pin Hirose into a sony ex3-1 with 2 xlr and a mini jack return , Noticed when return from camera was turned up there was a distinct clicking sound, Rushes were fine and clean, just audio return was dirty

Wondering if anyone else has had this - focus puller said he'd seen (heard) the same thing on an ex 1 on a previous shoot...

Is this problem Sony's or mine?
John
John Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've had that problem before.. I've never had it gone to tape, but I always roll a backup just in case. At least it's not like the HVX where the beeping actually goes to the tape!
Jeffery Magat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Might be worth checking that Alarm Level is set to 0 (and Beep is off) in the Audio Out menu. I've had alarm level set to 1 or 2 and when the battery gets low you get a very faint bleeping so you might pick up a click with it.

Can't think of anything else!
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Major Player

ex3 woes for me

My experience with the audio on the ex3 is kinda weird. The output of the headphone jack is really low and rather noisy. So in loud situations (like a helicopter landing sequence last week), then i cant monitor the return from the camera without cranking up the mix-pre headphone jack which put my ears at risk if i forget and switch back to the mixer monitor and is a monstrous amount of distracting hiss. Its scary to not monitor the camera though, because at one point somebody managed to switch the input from line to phantom/mic, and that channel blew out. It wasnt until the chopper was gone that i could hear the return enough to notice it, freak out and thank goodness i rolled a backup to an r-09.

Yes, i've heard clicking. I've also heard loud buzzing. I've heard a kind of swishing sound, and of course the end of card alarm that is so loud it can be heard leaking from my headphones to the boom. ouch. (and i can hear the blood leaving my severed eardrums)

I've never had a problem with the recorded sound on the ex3 though. Seems the live monitor/headphone circuitry is what is boffo.

Still. i always run a parallel external recorder when working with an ex3. better safe.

cheers!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Did a short with one a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. Had plenty of return level to the SQN. More than enough.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio