Best closed headphones - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 8th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Beyer 770's are my friend.
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Anyone use the Sennheiser HD25SP Mk2?

I was looking online for the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II as mentioned previously and noticing the prices around the £145 mark. Then I happened across this:

Absolute Music Solutions: Sennheiser HD25SP Mk2 headphones

Almost half the price for almost the same thing. The only difference, they say, is; "They are a lower-cost alternative to the HD 25, featuring a simpler headband and a slightly different capsule design."

Worth going for, or should I stick with the HD 25-1 (non-SP version)?
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

HD-280 Pro user here. I've never had any issues with comfort on them, I have a rather large noggin too, and the response is pretty flat as it should be. I've not gotten a chance to try out many others but I do like them better than most Sony's I've tried, and a set of AKG's which I unfortunately can't remember the model. Isolation is pretty decent especially at higher volumes. Haven't tried them when shooting a band yet, but they work like a champ on plane rides.

Seeing as how some people seem to be picky about what they put on their head, I'd say check local stores as much as possible or talk to local pros that may let you try their cans out. It seems like such a personal preference type thing.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #19
Major Player

I have the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. Awesome headphones. Highly recommended +
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Major Player

When I first switched from the Beyer DT100's to HD 25's I was not comfortable with the new Sennheiser cans. They where larger than life in the low end and sounded boomy to me. I had to put the beyer's back on as a usable reference. However I got used to them now.
My point is that it takes a little time to judge and get to know a set of cans. You should be wary of first impressions.

Incidently I wore a pair unplugged for the Chelsea v Liverpool champions league football match last season to save my poor head. It was louder without the cans on even when they where monitoring audio...!
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Warwick View Post
Anyone use the Sennheiser HD25SP Mk2?

I was looking online for the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II as mentioned previously and noticing the prices around the £145 mark. Then I happened across this:

Absolute Music Solutions: Sennheiser HD25SP Mk2 headphones

Almost half the price for almost the same thing. The only difference, they say, is; "They are a lower-cost alternative to the HD 25, featuring a simpler headband and a slightly different capsule design."

Worth going for, or should I stick with the HD 25-1 (non-SP version)?
The HD 25-1 is much better than the SP - and they last, my own HD 25-1 are 20 years old this year.

And that's a good price as they retail for £199 +VAT in the UK.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
The new HD 380 Pro (at about the same price) are better in my opinion (but not as good as the HD 25-1).
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:54 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Ok, so I'm officially confused.

I'm interested in the Sennheiser HD 25 Mk II headphones, but I'm seeing two distinctly different types being sold as exactly the same thing and in some cases,for roughly the same price. Which is the SP version and which is the non-SP (the real deal).

SENNHEISER HD-25-1 MK2 PROFESSIONAL DJ HEADPHONES on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 16:37:11 GMT)

SENNHEISER HD 25 1 MKII HEADPHONES on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 10:42:45 GMT)
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:11 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Warwick View Post
Ok, so I'm officially confused.

I'm interested in the Sennheiser HD 25 Mk II headphones, but I'm seeing two distinctly different types being sold as exactly the same thing and in some cases,for roughly the same price. Which is the SP version and which is the non-SP (the real deal).

SENNHEISER HD-25-1 MK2 PROFESSIONAL DJ HEADPHONES on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 16:37:11 GMT)

SENNHEISER HD 25 1 MKII HEADPHONES on eBay (end time 02-Nov-09 10:42:45 GMT)
Both links you posted link to the HD 25-1 II - neither is the SP version.

It's just that the second one has the split headband closed up.

The SP looks like THIS - though, personally, I would go for the HD 25-1 II and bot the SP version.
Old November 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
Ditto. I've been using the same pair for a couple of years now and an very happy with them.
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM   #26
Inner Circle

All this reminds me that I must get my mono Beyer DT 48s that I bought for my Nagra rewired for Stereo. Unfortunately I suspect a mini jack will look less than impressive compared to all that machined aluminium.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-S. They're a softer silicone mold than the Ultimate Ears, and sound very, very good. They are also much smaller than a set of 7506s!
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thought I would report back on this thread as I first came to it when deciding what cans to buy. Sound reproduction in my film productions is really important to me (isn't it to everyone?!) plus my sensitive ears hate the cheap and tacky, so was really trying hard to make the best decision here.

After much research online, my choices boiled down to two. Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. They are two, well-respected, industry standard phones. To be honest, I couldn't choose between them and since I needed two pairs (one for me, one for my sound guy on the FM), I ended up buying both at the same time.

I've spent hours/days on different projects and purposely intermixing the two headsets. They each produce a very different sound.

Jimmy Tuffrey a few posts up from this one reported that he bought the 25-1s and to him they sounded 'boomy' ... He is right, they definitely reproduce a more basser sound than the Sonys. They are also unquestionably louder than the Sonys. Not that the Sonys reproduce a more 'tinny' sound. On the contrary, the 7506 is very clear and sharp, perhaps slightly sharper than the 25-1 II.

For comfort, I found the 7506 more comfortable than the 25-1 II. The Sony's fit more snugly around the ear and have a more cushiony feel to them. Having said that, the 25-1 II comes with additional, swappable ear cushions (haven't tried them yet). The 25-1 IIs feel more secure on the head though. The headbrace on the 25-1 II splits apart and it does make a difference. The Sonys have not slipped off yet though!

The Sonys are also more compact. They fold away which is nice, the 25-1 IIs don't. Both brands come with nice pouches to store them in.

However, on balance, and having listened for some hours with both sets, the Sennheiser 25-1 IIs, in my humble opinion, produce a superior sound to the Sony MDR-7506. And since it's the sound reproduction that matters the most, the 25-1 IIs are my headphone of choice at the moment.

Let me know if you'd like to me to run any tests between the two brands. Not sure how I could test though, since sound quality/clarity is often a subjective opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Christopher Warwick; November 16th, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #29
Major Player

My own HD 25-1 are 20 yeras old now and still going strong.

All I have done is to replace the earpads over the yeras - about 4 times I think.

The velour earpad option (which I now use), which are now delivered as a standard option, I find more comfortable than the standard leatherette ones.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio