DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Phantom power mic or radio mike into a domestic DV camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/144945-phantom-power-mic-radio-mike-into-domestic-dv-camera.html)

Geoff Jak March 2nd, 2009 04:14 PM

Phantom power mic or radio mike into a domestic DV camera

Hi folks
I have a job on where I will be traveling abroad to shoot an interview on a boat then turn around and go back across the border. The piece will end up on the web. I don't want to raise customs alarms by taking a pro-ish looking camera in so want to use a domestic dv camera - a Canon MVX25i to shoot the interview.

Mike wise I can either use a Shure radio mike of an ME66. Either will need a minijack adaptor from a Canon [XLR] plug to the minijack port of the camera.
Question is-
Will the phantom power be a problem in this camera.
Are there XLR to minijack connectors available.
I am thinking the weight of the XLR to minijack port could be a problem due to the weight exerted on both the minijack and port connection so maybe I should rewire the mike cable to minijack only ie, just cut the wire and forget about the XLR part. What do you reckon
Thx

Battle Vaughan March 2nd, 2009 04:48 PM

If your ME66 uses the K6 power supply (the back end of the mike is a separate piece) it will power by an AA battery and not need phantom power. XLR to miniplug cables are a standard item, I don't know about vendors in your country but should not be hard to find. The BeechTec adapters are made to interface xlr with miniplug cameras, as well. / Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team

Steve House March 2nd, 2009 04:53 PM

The camera does not provide phantom power so it will not present a problem for the mic. On the other hand, that means you can only use mics that have their own battery power supply, like the ME66. Or you could use an XLR adapter like a Juicedlink that provides phantom to run a mic that lacks an internal battery. The Juiced would also provide the necessary XLR to mini conversions. Simple cable adapters are available and would probably work all right but it's a crap-shoot. The only way to know if it would sound right is to try before you venture into the field.

Wiring you own cable is certainly possible but you need to make sure you get it right - XLR pin 2 to minijack tip and ring both, XLR pins 1 and 3 to minijack sleeve. Adapters sold for DV use are usually correct, other TRS adapters, especially when people get an XLR to 1/4 TRS cable and try to combine it with a stereo 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to get it into the camera, usually aren't.

Ty Ford March 6th, 2009 12:01 AM

Adding to Steve's good advice.

Check the camera manual. Your Canon MVX25i camera mic jack may present a bias voltage (sort of like Phantom Power but not). This may be antagonistic the the ME66. There are cables built that have block capacitors to keep that voltage from getting into the mic.

Bias voltage probably won't hurt the mic, but it will probably degrade the audio.

Here's a cable: Trew Audio - Cables, Connectors & Adapters - DV Cam Cables - DV Cam Mono Input Cable

Regards,

Ty Ford

Michael Hutson March 6th, 2009 06:35 AM

Here's another link to check out. I have one and it works great.

XLR Adapter - XLR Adapter to mini plug for video cameras XLR Audio Adapter

Ty Ford March 6th, 2009 07:05 AM

Michael,

I'm from the "the fewer the components in the path, the better" school and this gets in the way of that.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Richard Gooderick March 6th, 2009 10:19 AM

If you are shooting in good light a Sony A1 might do the job and doesn't look like a pro camera when you remove the XLR attachment.

Mark Boyer March 6th, 2009 03:10 PM

Look at the BeachTek adapter, you can plug up to 2 wireless or wired XLR mics ( or a 1/8 thinch mini plug mic) into the unit and it will mix your inputs.Atach it to the bottom of your consumer camera. I had one with my older Canon GL1 and it worked great.

Geoff Jak March 7th, 2009 01:24 PM

Thx for the info guys. I'm taking all this in.
Off on another shoot in a few hours and will get back with comments in a couple of days. Only just got an e-note that these replies had come in.
Geoff Jak