Lapel mic: How do the pros use 'em? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Lapel mic: How do the pros use 'em?

Hello,

Recently I shot an interview where the person was walking around (indoors/outdoors) and he was wired-up with a Sennheiser Wireless G2 transmitter and stock lapel mic...

Long story short, the audio was good, but not great... I think the cable was causing some rumbling when rubbed against, and in general the attached mic was kinda loose and shaky which (I think) cause some additional fuzz and rumblings.

When I watch TV shows (reality/American Idol... yadda), I see the mics are very tight and appear to transmit great audio.

Is there a better lapel mic that I can buy?

How do you wire someone up with a lapel and position everything so that there is the least amount of bad feedback possible?

I dunno know about all ya'll, but I really hate stuffing/wrapping that long stock lapel cable in-and-around the person (stranger) I am about to interview...

I would love some tips from the pros. :)

Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Micky
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The stock mic that comes with the G2s is okay, but not great. Probably the most commonly used mic in broadcast today is the Sanken COS11 through Tran and Countryman are other favourites.

Cable noise can be reduced bu judicious choice of mounting location and insuring you have a so-called "broadcast loop" strain-relief loop of cable right at the clip for the mic head. Lead the cable from the mic around to where the transmitter is fastened, roll up the excess and stuff it in a pocket or under the belt next to the transmitter, don't just let it dangle.
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Rubbing noise can also be transmitted mechanically through the wire. The strain relief loop can help reduce or eliminate that kind of noise.

I hide my mics and carefully position them so that they're not in a place where the mic capsule will rub against anything if at all possible. And the wire near the mic capsule is also firmly taped down to prevent any rubbing noise from getting transmitted along the wire.

Not sure what you mean by "fuzz" but sometimes unwanted noise can be the result of losing a radio signal, and that can happen at close range. The radio signal will reflect off any metallic surfaces or sometimes hard objects. It can also be attenuated by the human body and obstacles. This unpredictable criss-cross of signals will have dead spots in what's known as an "interference pattern".

One way to minimize the chances of losing a signal is to use a diversity receiver. It has two antennas. As the receiver senses which antenna is getting a stronger signal, it instantly switches to that antenna. The result is a much higher chance of maintaining an uninterrupted signal.

The system I use is a diversity system and I've had wonderfully reliable results. Almost as good as using a hard-wired mic.
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Major Player

When you put on a tie mic. loop the cable up and then down again behind the clothing and trap the cable in the croc. clip.

This will de-couple the cable and any cable rubbing below this point does not transmit up to the mic. itself.
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi all! Many thanks for the replies! I really really really appreciate your time and expert help. :)

Ya'll make some great points... I think in the shoot I referred to, it was a combination of everything you guys mentioned.

For example... It looked like the mic was not touching anything, and the person was standing still, and the mic was getting (what sounded like) clothes rubbing.

On top of all of this audio feedback, the mic was picking up a lot of wind rumble... How the heck do you avoid that? As soon as I heard rumbling, I reluctantly asked the interviewee to face so his back was against the wind.

Fortunately, I had my shotgun mic turned on and was able to edit out all the bad spots and replace them with the shotgun mic audio... Not optimal, but it sounds better than the wireless in those nasty spots.

Well, anyway, I will do some practicing on my friend and I may be back with more questions. :)

Thanks a billion!!!

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Quick question...

I am looking at Sanken COS11 on B&H... Looks like the price range is from ~$200 to ~$500....

First, would this mic work well with the Sennheiser Wireless G2 transmitter?

If so, which one would you choose?

What accessories might you purchase?

Oh, I forgot to ask, has anyone here ever had the person that you are interviewing hold a hand-held wireless mic? I have a Sennheiser Wireless mic transmitter, and it seems to get very good audio... I am wondering if I should have used that instead of the lapel mic?

Thanks!
Micky
Old March 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

See this thread for more information on using a G2 system with the COS-11:

COS-11D and Sennheiser G2? - The Digital Video Information Network

I haven't plunked down the cash to purchase this system yet, but will reply to that thread when/if it works.
Nate Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Nate!

Awesome! Thanks. :)

I am subscribing to that thread now.

Cheers,
Micky
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #9
Major Player

For shooting outdoors I can recommend the Rycote lav windjammer

Rycote - Personal Microphone Solutions

which has given me good sound on the top of Scottish mountains and at sea.

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post
On top of all of this audio feedback, the mic was picking up a lot of wind rumble... How the heck do you avoid that?
Rycote Lavalier Windjammer - or - Rycote Overcovers or Undercovers.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi!

Thanks for links John and Nick! Looks like a must have accessory/accessories. :)

Looks like my credit card is going to see some action this month!

Thanks!
Cheers,
Micky
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #12
DVCreators.Net

I'll be bumping out a little how to video on this if there is enough interest, in the meantime, here is some good info. About Lavalier Mics
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Re: How To video...

>>>>>>>> Interested!!!! <<<<<<<<<

This video has been a life saver:

"Sennheiser G2 Evolution" video tutorial
sennheiser_wireless_movieframe.jpg

Thanks for that vid tut Guy!!! I can't begin to tell you how helpful the above video has been... I watch it before every shoot that involves my G2! :D

Thanks a billion for linkage!

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
I'll be bumping out a little how to video on this if there is enough interest, in the meantime, here is some good info. About Lavalier Mics
Funny, after reading the first post I though... Guy should put out a how to video on proper use of a lav mic. :)

On critical things, I've just used two G2 systems on the same person. That's solved 90% of any issues that have come up. Oh, and for the record, I've never actually read the manual for the G2, I just watched Guy's "how to" video twice.
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Funny, after reading the first post I though... Guy should put out a how to video on proper use of a lav mic. :)
Heheh! I even referenced one of his other vids in that first post too!!! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
On hyper critical things, I've just used two G2 systems on the same person. That's solved 90% of any issues that have come up.
Oooooooh, I did not think of that!

I do have an additional G2 that I could use... Great idea Dylan! Thanks! :)

Cheers,
Micky

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio