DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What ever happened to the pin mic? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/145534-what-ever-happened-pin-mic.html)

Guy Cochran March 10th, 2009 09:32 AM

What ever happened to the pin mic?

Does anyone know where to get the Ricsonix pin mic? I recently watched a guy rig one up for a tv show we are all familiar with. They're super cool, but seemingly unavailable.

Karl Lohninger March 10th, 2009 11:58 AM

Contact CoffeySound in L.A. (coffeysound.com) - ask for Sheri - say hello from me ;-)

Karl

ps. I use one. For specific situations it does a great job. Avoid windy exterior situations.

Guy Cochran March 10th, 2009 01:49 PM

Thanks! It appears that CoffeeSound has another name on the web Grace Distribution, Inc. Product Line
I found the pin mic there. They're checking on availability.

Kind of funny to watch someone reach in their kit and pass up the Sanken COS-11, the Tram (not sure of the model), the Countryman B3 and reach for the pin mic. Hey, whatever works best for the talent's attire. I thought, dang I need one of those!

Jack Walker March 10th, 2009 03:42 PM

I also have one. Works well.

The importer/distributor is just a few dozen or so yards/meters from Coffey Sound. I don't recall where I bought mine, but then it was shipped to me from down the street.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.gracedistribution.com/pin...chure_2006.pdf
The Pin-Mic™
Gotham Sound and Communications, Inc. --catalog
PIN MIC Lavalier

There are vague rumors that the Pin Mic is a relative of the Tram TR-50, but no one will give details.

Marty Atias March 10th, 2009 09:16 PM

Grace Distribution is the wholesale arm of Coffey Sound and the importer /distributor for The Pin Mic. Last I heard, Ricsonix ceased operations suddenly about 2 years ago.

The Pin Mic was a great product. we sold many of them and I still use them. All I have left for sale are some accessories.
Marty

Guy Cochran March 11th, 2009 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys. If anyone knows where I can get a pin mic, new or used. Please let me know.
Marty - any chance you can use your connections to see if you can get these back out on the market?

Guy Cochran March 26th, 2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 1025660)
I also have one. Works well.

The importer/distributor is just a few dozen or so yards/meters from Coffey Sound. I don't recall where I bought mine, but then it was shipped to me from down the street.

Here are a couple of links:
http://www.gracedistribution.com/pin...chure_2006.pdf
The Pin-Mic™
Gotham Sound and Communications, Inc. --catalog
PIN MIC Lavalier

There are vague rumors that the Pin Mic is a relative of the Tram TR-50, but no one will give details.

Jack - thanks for your links. Gotham had a couple in their rental department which I was able to purchase. They arrived today and I'm a happy camper!

Ty Ford March 27th, 2009 06:16 AM

Last time I talked to Ric he mentioned doing some work with Peter Freedman at Rode.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guy Cochran March 27th, 2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 1034410)
Last time I talked to Ric he mentioned doing some work with Peter Freedman at Rode.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Hey Ty, where ya been? Thanks for sharing, that's very interesting. Any chance that you could talk to either one of them again and see what's up? I would hate to see this mic fade away.

The thing I like so much about the pin mic is that with a bit of museum putty and a variety of colored buttons, it becomes a unique problem solver for a lot of the situations I've seen lavs used. Especially on plain t-shirts. Especially with HD. It's a mic that I think everyone should have in their kit, maybe the clarity isn't as good as a high end $400+ Sanken COS-11, but clothing rustle seems to be non-existent - which can be even more important. The only problem was maybe the cost? If I know RODE, they're good at mass production. These were $200 ea USED at Gotham. I wonder if RODE could get them down to a reasonable price with a big run. Maybe with da-cappo's approach of screw on connectors, it would be a hit. Da-Cappo Australia :: Products - The Adaptors

I just found a quote which said they were used on TV show "Scrubs."

LEMAC - Ricsonix
Funny, there's a quote from you in their too Ty! Nice!

Ty Ford March 27th, 2009 09:41 AM

"Hey Ty, where ya been?"

Very busy working on this project.
Ty Ford Chakra Balancing

and a slew of others.

Also listening to and liking the Event Opal monitors. ($2999, USD)

These are serious studio monitors. Quite revolutionary in several respects.

I can try, but if they don't want me to talk about stuff, they'll tell me that and I will honor the request.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Rick Reineke March 27th, 2009 02:50 PM

It is also "common knowledge" the Ricsonix pin mic was used a lot on "Borat".(Kaisistan lapel pin)
OT- IMO, a must see.. for men anyway.

Allan Black April 22nd, 2011 08:25 PM

Re: What ever happened to the pin mic?

Old threads never die, they don't even fade away :)

As you guys now know, Rode redesigned the whole product from the ground up, refining it around Ric's original concept but basically it's a completely new product - different capsule, different mesh, different backplate, kevlar reinforced cable and including the versatility of the MiCon connection system.

The capsule and mesh head were revised to boost the highs slightly to increase the vocal presence, and the mesh head can now be easily screwed off to allow interchangeable mesh heads (eg. different colours, a button one etc)

Guy, I guess stock must be imminent? Ty, you still busy as ever?

Cheers.

Ty Ford April 22nd, 2011 08:54 PM

AB,

A fun week. three days of shooting for two different clients, putting together two half hour radio programs for clients, seeing a new client and talking about a location for his shoot.

Have the guys made the mesh so tight it's waterproof like the Countryman B6, E6 and EMW?

I had one of the first PIN mics. I just checked the mic locker and couldn't find it so I think I returned it after a review. It was nicely done, if a little edgy and I suggested a slightly different hole arrangement for the slipover cover.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Allan Black April 26th, 2011 01:29 AM

Ty, production for radio is good, especially if you get series national copy work.

I was waiting till after Easter to find out Rodes actual definition of 'water resistant' which the pop filter is. Someone else asked so I looked it up, water resistant usually means spittle and light rain, it doesn't mean fully waterproof.

So if your Pinmic has the pop filter installed and it goes over the side of your custom built cruiser .. when you reel it back in by the cable its 5yr warranty will have gone down with it.

But if the chef lets you in the galley, you could try 5secs in the microwave .. not in the manual or approved by Rode in any way by the way .. mmm I've eaten too much chocolate.

Cheers.

Greg Miller April 26th, 2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1643036)
But if the chef lets you in the galley, you could try 5secs in the microwave ..

I'm sure 1 kW of RF, focused on the mic, would make the FET work a lot better. You'd have a really "hot" mic, fer shure. ;-)

Tom Morrow April 26th, 2011 11:54 PM

I bought one of Sweetwater's last PinMics. I've now used it on a half dozen people. I really like the convenience of being able to hide it in the collar without needing messy tape or stabby pins or vampire clips. The sound quality is better than the ME-2 that I compared it with, more fullbodied.

A couple of minor gripes: The build quality is not top-notch; the rubber boot around the Micon connector was already cracked when I received it, and cracked further with normal use. No biggie as the boot seems to be mostly cosmetic. What is annoying is that the fit in the case is so tight that unless you situate the screwdriver/wrench tool just right, the tray doesn't sit right and the case is hard to close. They should have made a cutout for the screwdriver/wrench tool.

I also wish the XLR micon connector allowed 12-15V power for power savings, but you can't have everything. The ability to run it off the >=5V power of my camera and H1 through the Micon 1/8" jack is a cool thing that many mics don't have, for minimal setups.