Sony UWP and alternative Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony UWP and alternative Mics

I have just purchased a new Sony UWP wireless diversity system that I found at an exceptional price, and I am trying to maximize my investment at the same time that I am trying to maximize my flexibility. I am relatively new to the audio world, and I am still a bit ignorant about some issues, but I have been doing a lot of reading and probably now know enough to get myself in trouble!

Part of the kit that I have is a few instances of the UWP-V1, which consists of a lavalier mic, a UTX-B2 wireless body pack, and a URX-P2 diversity tuner. The plug from the lavalier mic is a 3.5mm TRS (stereo) connector that (obviously) plugs into the UTX-B2 audio input connector.

There are occasions where I would like to ditch the lavaliers and instead use a standard dynamic or battery powered condenser microphone and route its XLR outputs to the input connector for the UTX-B2. In the manual that I have for the system, under the section discussing the Audio Input connector for the UTX-B2, it says (literally):

"By using a commercially available XLR-BMP conversion input cable, UTX-B2, the line output connector of the audio mixer or the microphone which does not require the external power supply can also be connected"

Furthermore, there is another note that says

"When the MIC/LINE input selector is set to MIC position, a power voltage for the supplied lavalier microphone is applied to the audio input connector. For this purpose, a special electrical wiring is used inside this connector. Be sure to use a commercially available XLR-BMP conversion input cable to connect the equipment other than the suppled lavalier microphone."

Hmm, we have a bit of strange translation going on in these quotes, but what I think it is telling me is that by using an XLR-BMP cable, I can connect a standard XLR microphone output to the body pack in lieu of the Sony supplied lavalier, or another non-Sony branded lavalier. Is my assumption correct here?

I have done a search for the referenced cable and have found Sony part # K-1334 BMP/XLR conversion cable, listed for $66 USD, and the only site that I have found that seems to carry it is Expandore.net, which is in Singapore. This is a bit on the expensive side, as far as I am concerned; is this a Sony-only part, or is there an alternative that can be used? Or is it possible to make one of these up? I don't have any issue with doing so, if I knew what the wiring should be. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Also, I am a bit confused when reading the specs on various microphones and lavs, they typically quote such things as Open Circuit Sensitivity, maximum SPL and impedance, whereas the specifications for the audio input level for the body pack only quotes "-60dBV (at 0 dB attenuation level)". What must I look for in the specifications of 3rd party lavs and microphones to match this input level?

I hope that my questions aren't too inane or nooby, but I would like to better understand this stuff! Thanks for your input in advance.
John Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Inner Circle

As far as I can tell, the 1334 cable you mention connects the receiver output to a destination - it shows to be a TRS mini to XLR male. To connect a source to the transmitter, you'd use an XLR female to locking miniplug and it looks like the Sony EC15BX cable is what you need - Sony Product Detail Page - EC15BX - and a google turns up some sources in the States, such as AVAlive.com. I'm sure any Sony professional dealer could order it for you.
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
New Boot

Wow, thanks Steve! I missed this one in my search. I did find the following connector that I think will also work for a DIY cable:

Sony K1324 Mini-BMP Mic Connector for UWP-Series Bodypack | Full Compass
John Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If that's just a standard locking 3.5mm TRS mini, like the Senn.G2 uses, I get them from Markertek for 4.50usd. #30-296

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...296&pagesize=0
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

3rd party mikes to UTX B1?

Hi John

Have you successfully connected a XLR condenser or dynamic mike to the Sony transmitter?

I've also posted a question about this but had no response. I've tried connecting a couple of mikes - powered Rode NTG1 and Rode Videomic and phantom Sony - but had no luck.

And yet I've given the transmitter to mixing desks at conferences a few times for a wireless feed to the camera and it's worked fine.
Michael Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Michael, I run a Shure SM58 XLR out dynamic, out into my Sony UTX-B1 transmitter. The cable was made up by Videocraft in Artarmon here. 94363050.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, Allan.

I just got off phone to Andy at Videocraft who mentioned the mini jack connections on the UTX are the opposite of normal, so the tip and ring need to be reversed.
Michael Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Cool Michael. The discontinued UTX-B1 only puts out a few volts to run lavs. I wouldn't try it with phantom or battery powered mics.

And I found the lav Sony supplies with it is a disgrace, not even a model number on it.

I eventually went up to a Sony ECM77BMP before I could get decent results and there are much better (read more expensive) lavs than that. The BMP lav version is important for that xmitter, it has the lockable 3.5m plug on it.

So in the washup, although that Sony UTX rig was cheaper than the Senn G2, by the time I added that ECM77 lav, the G2 with its (useable) lav, would have been the better buy.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Glad to find this thread.
Someone can tell me if it is absolutely necessary to add something like this Shure | A15AS - In-Line Attenuator | A15AS | B&H Photo Video to XLR-BMP conversion input cable when connecting UTX-B2 to sound board/mixer?
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio