DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Mic suggestion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/145899-mic-suggestion.html)

Lalo Alvidrez March 15th, 2009 07:11 PM

Mic suggestion

I know this has probably been asked many times and I did look through several pages of posts but I'm needing to get a mic ordered today if possible. I am needing to know what would be a good mic for interviews at a wedding reception. More than likely I will have something set up in a different room or hallway from where the music will be played.

Chris Rackauckas March 15th, 2009 07:31 PM

More information? Budget?

I could just say get a schoeps but I don't know enough about your needs.

Marco Leavitt March 15th, 2009 07:33 PM

Man, this is question that is not easily answered. What's your budget? Is anybody helping you or are you solo?

Lalo Alvidrez March 15th, 2009 08:16 PM

The Mother of the bride wanted a segment with well wishes for the B/G so my wife will be handling that, so to answer your question it's going to be one person handling it unless there is a problem. Budget??? don't want to go too expensive. Just want a descent mic to make sure I get clean audio. I would think a unidirectional would work, right?

Chris Rackauckas March 15th, 2009 08:38 PM

Well, a schoeps MK41 is amazing. Are you saying that it's going to be on a boom, or is the mother of the bride going to be holding a mic? If she's holding it, you will probably want some kind of dynamic that has very little handling noise.

Marco Leavitt March 15th, 2009 09:51 PM

I think you're best bet is going to be a wired lav. Which one will depend on your budget and how you are going to connect to the camera. How much can you spend and what camera is it?

Chris Swanberg March 15th, 2009 10:02 PM

Let me see if I get this. You will have a static camera, and your wife will be interviewing various individuals in frame? Is this right? And these "interviews" will be very short ones, with a lot of them as folks are passing by? Will you be capturing sound directly to the camera or ?

IF I am remotely close in my assumption, I'd second the dynamic mic recommendation. Shure 57 (or 58 as a 2nd choice) is the pro standby and inexpensive. Most all local "Music houses" carry them. Have her hold the mic and move it back and forth between her and the subject - like you see in "Entertainment tonight" Oscar red carpet type of stuff. She may need a little practice to make sure she keeps the mic pointed at whoever is talking.... her or the subject and LEARN TO KEEP IT CLOSE.

Jay Massengill March 16th, 2009 07:22 AM

The three lowest cost pro-level handheld interview mics are, in order of cost:
1. Shure VP64a
2. Audio-Technica AT8004
3. EV 635A or A/B (black)

These are all omni mics which allows for easier pickup of two or three people closely grouped. Isolation from background noise is accomplished by having these low-sensitivity mics close to the subjects but without having the proximity effect of a vocal cardioid.
They also have shockmounted capsules which will cut down on handling noise. Omni mics are also less prone to wind and breath noises but having a foam windscreen on is good practice. The VP64a is listed as coming with a windscreen, but I've never used this mic. I do have the older AT804, which can still be found at an even lower cost. It has very good sound.
If those mics are above your budget, then most online musical instrument dealers run sales on low end vocal cardioids like the AT4000s, Shure PG48 and EV Cobalt Co5, as well as many others from lower end brands like Nady. The Nady mics do work pretty well as vocal cardioids but only if you are literally speaking right at the grill and the handling noise is more noticeable as you go into this low range of mics. I'd avoid those unless you were equipping a garage band. The somewhat better vocal cardioids I just listed would suffice for interviews, but the omni interview mics would give more even results in this case.
Investing in one of the top 3 mics I listed is money well spent over the long term, they will last forever with reasonable care.

Marco Leavitt March 16th, 2009 08:05 AM

This doesn't seem clear. Is your wife going to be operating the camera as well as doing the interviews? If so, I still say lav. The problem with just handing a subject a dynamic mic to hold is that they never get the mic close enough.

Lalo Alvidrez March 17th, 2009 04:49 AM

Plenty of suggestions, really appreciate it. Marc, I think what I'll be setting up is a mic on a stand and her behind the camera. Still trying to figure it out because this is the first time I'll be including interviews.

Jay Massengill March 17th, 2009 07:32 AM

With what you've described now; mic on a stand, with some isolation from the main room, operator behind the camera, people pausing and talking to the camera, I'd open it up to moderate-sensitivity cardioid condensers with a vocal windscreen and capability to go either battery or phantom (since you haven't mentioned which camera or mixer).
A good candidate for this would be the AT8031, which is available for $170 to $180 online.

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : AT8031 Cardioid Condenser Handheld Microphone

Mark Boyer March 17th, 2009 09:21 AM

Wedding Interviews

My set up for interviews is a Shure handheld mic (limited distance on the pickup) with a butt plug wireless or a xlr cord, tripod mounted camera facing a corner (no background distractions) and adjusting the audio while momtoring with headphones.

Now if you are working the tables after everyone dines, I use a wireless butt plug and shoot freehand as the guests pass the mic.

Also get yourself a camera light (I use a Litepanels Micro LED camera Light) you will need it.