Audio Technica PRO 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Technica PRO 44

Any current users/owners or previous users/owners? Interested in your opinion on this microphone. What I plan on doing is using it to record interviews, an extra sound source when recording two people sitting down at a table talking, etc...stuff of that nature. The current set I'm on we are using an Audio-Technica UA851R Boundary Mic. Sounds real good and picks up pretty good. We are filming a reality show so its a blind date couple talking at a table so we use that mic(hidden) and two wireless mics. Am I making sense? I'm just now really getting into Film but I'm no dummy and I'm weighing my options before purchasing. I have been researching on the net but very limited reviews. If you have any other suggestions let me know. If all works well I plan on buying just one of these.

Thanks
Nicole

Last edited by Nicole Hankerson; March 16th, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Left out something.
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't have any personal experience with the Pro44, but since nobody has responded I will mention that I've had two of the older version of the 851a boundary mic for many years.
Some mid-priced Audio-Technica products perform well above their price point, so it's difficult to say if the Pro44 would be suitable compared to the higher priced AT boundary mics without actually using it.
Based on the specs listed, the Pro44 has dramatically higher sensitivity but also a worse signal to noise ratio. So I think it will have higher self-noise than the better models like you've already worked with.
Generally prices online for the 3 roughly comparable cardioid boundary mics from AT are:
Pro44 $100
U851R $179
U851A $199
The Pro44 has the highest sensitivity but the worst signal to noise. It's also the smallest and obviously the lowest cost.
The phantom-only 851R has about twice the sensitivity of the phantom or battery-powered A model, but the A model has the best signal to noise ratio and has the flexibility of battery power if needed.
Some camera mic inputs need hot mic signals to perform well, but I think the ultra-high output of the Pro44 could overload some specific cameras without using an attenuator.
I'd probably pick the middle ground, the U851R as long as you know you'll always have phantom power.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm definitely going to stand back from that and go with the U851 microphone since I have used it before. Great looking out. Others if you would like to add your suggesstion feel free.

Thanks
Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio