DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Fixing Broken Zoom H2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/146039-fixing-broken-zoom-h2.html)

Brian Boyko March 17th, 2009 12:43 PM

Fixing Broken Zoom H2?

I fried a Zoom H2 by subjecting it to NZ voltage - thought the AC adapter could handle it, but apparently, it couldn't.

I was quoted $50/hr plus parts, with a minimum of $50 just to have Samson look at it. Since a new one's $150, I told them not to bother.

So, question is: Anywhere that'll fix the Zoom H2 for cheaper than having Samson look at it? Failing that, any way to scavenge parts (like microphones and such?)

Steve House March 18th, 2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyko (Post 1029168)
I fried a Zoom H2 by subjecting it to NZ voltage - thought the AC adapter could handle it, but apparently, it couldn't.

I was quoted $50/hr plus parts, with a minimum of $50 just to have Samson look at it. Since a new one's $150, I told them not to bother.

So, question is: Anywhere that'll fix the Zoom H2 for cheaper than having Samson look at it? Failing that, any way to scavenge parts (like microphones and such?)

Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay. Pick up one cheap at Radio Snak, 9VDC and greater than 300ma should cvost about $10 or so and should work. Worth it to test the recorder - I be suprised if putting an overvoltage on the AC adapter would damage the recorder itself

Andy Tejral March 18th, 2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1029715)
Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay

That would certainly be a good first step but if the adapter is a really cheesy one--without a fuse, it certainly could blow up the unit.

Does it work on batteries?

(let me add, a good ps will have a fuse but it wouldn't be replaceable.)

Brian Boyko March 18th, 2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1029715)
Why don't you just get another AC adapter? I would think the recorder itself should be okay. Pick up one cheap at Radio Snak, 9VDC and greater than 300ma should cvost about $10 or so and should work. Worth it to test the recorder - I be suprised if putting an overvoltage on the AC adapter would damage the recorder itself

The Recorder is dead. Does not work on batteries.

Steve House March 18th, 2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Boyko (Post 1029890)
The Recorder is dead. Does not work on batteries.

Wow - that must have been quite a spectacular zap when you plugged it in. It's surprising that they aren't shipping a dual-voltage unit - even my little Canon point and shoot still camera's battery charger and my electric shaver work just fine on either 110 or 230v. Putting 230 volts into a 110 volt-rated wall-wart might have blown the AC adapter but its fuse should have prevented damage to the recorder. Have you tried with a fresh set of batteries? In many cases the battery pack is in parallel with the external DC input. The overvoltage applied to them might have fried the batteries but left the recorder intact. If you haven't tried it, it would worth a shot to see what happens.

Electronic devices work on Magic Smoke - if you let the smoke escape, they won't work any more.

Bill Rankin March 18th, 2009 08:43 PM

Look into getting the newer version H4n. I am quite happy with mine.

Brian Boyko March 18th, 2009 10:16 PM

I already ordered a replacement H2, the H4n doesn't have enough features for me to bother with the upgrade. XLR inputs are nice, but I already have a Juicedlink.

What I mainly use the H2 for, day-to-day, is for interviews - The camera glitches, or the sound isn't quite right, or there's too much hiss -- the H2's built in mic actually does a pretty good job of capturing a second source of audio. I could hook it up to a lav, but I already have a wireless system for it. Also good for micing stages as well.

Hmm... I wonder if I could take the mics, put a windscreen around them, and wire them permanently to the ceiling of the stage... anyone know of any good electronics forums?

Andy Tejral April 28th, 2009 11:56 AM

Hey, do you still have that unhappy H2?

I'm curious about reversing the microphones so that you can see the LCD while having it mounted on a camera.