Electrical humming and hissing noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Electrical humming and hissing noise

This might be a Z1 issue or a mic issue but hopefully you guys can help.

I've just picked up my camera with a sennheiser k6/me66 mic attached. I was hand holding it and in certain positions particularly if i tilt it slightly i get a noticable hum, like an electrical hum. i've tried it in a room with all the electrical stuff off and it still happens. i had a play with the audio levels and when i moved them way up the hum got louder but seemed stay there for a second or two even when i'd lowered it. it only stops if i move the mic off the camera via a longer xlr cable.

there is also another issue with a hiss. but this happens on all my mics. i not sure if this is related but thought i should mention it. i get the hiss even when no mic is plugged in, but not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Trustee

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like a ground fault in either the xlr cable or the mike. Since it goes away when you use a different cable, that would be a good clue....

However, we once had a noisy ME66 that had a fault of some kind that Sennheiser repaired under warranty, it was more like intermittent static than a hum in that case. / Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i may have located the issue. I think its the position of the mic to the camera or its actual connection to the camera. even with the longer cable, when i attach the mic it gives this hum noise. not sure how i can get round this, i'm already using a rycote type clamp to keep the fluffy out of the lens. does this ring any bells with others? any way round it?
Neil Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hissing problem

You need to change your cable or your Gain setting is too hot.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio