Sony HDR-SR12 Line-In thru Hot Shoe? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HDR-SR12 Line-In thru Hot Shoe?

I don't know if this is possible, but I'm wondering if there's an attachment out there which will allow you to get a (preferably stereo) line-in signal through the hot shoe of the SR12.

It seems like this mic: ECM-HGZ1 | ECM-HGZ1 Shotgun Microphone | Sony | SonyStyle USA will plug into the shoe, and audio also goes through it right? Not through the 1/8 inch mic-in jack on the side?

Let me know, thanks!
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes and no... Sony made one back when the HC3 was out, but they are discontinued - it just had the same little 1/8" jack as the SR12 has... so no real difference in quality AFAIK,

Why not just use the 1/8" on the camera?

I spent quite a bit of time reverse engineering the A/V jack when working on a way to hack the LANC port - and the AiShoe is another one of those proprietary Sony things - there is a mic input there (as in the A/V plug, though that one didn't seem to be terribly workable).

Sony has several mics that fit that shoe, including a wireless that can serve as a center channel (if set to 5.1) or a stereo input, the stereo shotgun, and I believe a couple others including a "surround" mic. That tells me that there's something in each mic that triggers the camera to acknowledge that there is a mic on the shoe, and tells the cam which configuration the mic and input are to be in...

WHile I don't think that answers your question, it might shed some light on it. If you have a specific reason for trying to hack the AiShoe, I might be able to share some of my notes... but didn't get terribly far with that particular part of the camera. I do have the HGZ1 and the HW1, and I'm sure the insides of those offer clues...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Trustee

The older DVCAM PD-x10 used an XLR adapter that connected to the camera's intelligent shoe and this shoe would also accept Sony mics that are similar to the ones you're describing.
So that camera was very much built on a consumer style chassis that also had the regular 1/8" plug-in-power stereo mic jack on the camera body. In other words it's a similar situation, just from several years back.
I have no idea if there is any compatibility whatsoever with that older XLR Mic/Mic Attenuate/Line level adapter (that could also provide 48v phantom and double a mono mic to both channel 1 and 2).
Perhaps you could find a broken PD-x10 cheap and salvage the XLR adapter. Just don't blame me if your camera blows up! I'm just pointing out that in the past there was an adapter for the basic situation that you describe, just with an earlier camera.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Major Player

This is probably as close as you can get. It's a mic-in though, not a line-in.

Sony | VMC-K100 Microphone Adapter | VMCK100 | B&H Photo Video

Also, it's discontinued.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I want a line-in is for either running audio from a Zoom H2 into the camera, or for a wireless mic receiver out that I use when filming my monthly business event. Up till now I've been recording to the Zoom and syncing in post. Looks like I'll have to continue doing that.

Thanks again for your help!
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

wireless mic should just go right in to the mic input... it's there under the forward cover... Not sure whether it would take a line level input.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio