DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Will the Rode Stereo VideoMic distort with loud music? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/146612-will-rode-stereo-videomic-distort-loud-music.html)

Marco Dias March 25th, 2009 03:07 PM

Will the Rode Stereo VideoMic distort with loud music?

Hi,

As most people are aware by now, the built-in mic on the Sony FX1 is really crappy.

I am interested in buying the Rode Stereo VideoMic to go along with my Sony FX1.
Rode | Stereo VideoMic - Camera Mounted | STEREO VIDEO MIC | B&H

I mainly film bands, mobile discos and even sometimes in clubs. The music is really loud.

Before the FX1, I used the Sony VX2100 and the built in mic on that camcorder did a pretty good job.

I want to use the audio on the camcorder on auto.

Has anyone used the Rode Stereo VideoMic in loud environments without experiencing distortion or clipping?
I believe the VideoMic also has a -10dB pad, which should help with distortion.

I have search through the threads and most people have a positive comment about this mic, but I want to know if it will work for my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Allan Black March 25th, 2009 06:35 PM

Of course any mic will distort with loud enough input.

But I use an SVM on and off a Canon A1 to record very loud piston engine aircraft as close as 20feet away. After some experimenting to get to know what levels to set for each aircraft, I find it's great. Play the HARS teaser.

http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.ph...StereoVideoMic

An SPL (input sound pressure level) of 130 dB (@ 1kHz. 1% THD into 1 ohm load) is about as good as you'll get for a mic of this price. Instant access to the SVMs 10db pad is a big plus without going to the cams controls. I've also got the AT822, it's generally a bit thinner sounding than the SVM.

I'd record on manual audio for your situation to try to get some dynamic rage and for safety, always under record knowing you can bring the level up in post.

Experiment with the 80hz low cut and in a very loud club, try parking the SVM off cam back in the room.

Cheers.

Chris Rackauckas March 25th, 2009 11:23 PM

80hz will cut the bass guitar out or the sub kick if it's any kind of dance... I'd put it to 50hz.

And if you are in a club... mic? What for? Plug into the board! That will get you a great feed. Put an audience mic into the board if you really need that and you're set.

Marco Dias March 26th, 2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1033603)
I've also got the AT822, it's generally a bit thinner sounding than the SVM.

When you say thinner, do you mean it lacks bass?

Currently I am using the Sennheiser ME64 with the AT Line Attenuator set at -20dB.
It's a great mic, but it lacks bass.

I have to add bass in post. It's more suited for voice rather than music.

I watched the teaser, the mic did a good job, I even felt the bass from that clip.

Thanks for the link.

Stan Harkleroad March 26th, 2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Rackauckas (Post 1033713)
80hz will cut the bass guitar out or the sub kick if it's any kind of dance... I'd put it to 50hz.

And if you are in a club... mic? What for? Plug into the board! That will get you a great feed. Put an audience mic into the board if you really need that and you're set.

Board recordings often sound thin and are not equal. The sound person is trying to create what sounds good to human ears in the room, not what sounds good taking a stereo record output. Some instruments will be loud in the mix and some not. In a club you don't need a lot of drums in the board mix because drums carry well over that short a distance.

For DJ acts or similar a board feed could work well though. I still find it's nice to have the ambience that a good stereo mic or set of mics gives.

If you can get a board feed and mix it with a good audience source that can work very well.

The Rode SVM is a good mic and you'll likely be pleased with it. Try out all different methods and find what you like the most.

Jay Massengill March 26th, 2009 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Dias (Post 1033758)
Currently I am using the Sennheiser ME64 with the AT Line Attenuator set at -20dB.
It's a great mic, but it lacks bass.

I have to add bass in post.

Marco, do you have the bass rolloff switch on the K6 power supply set to flat or rolled off?
That will make a big difference. Even with that switch flat, the ME64 is a little bright in it's character, but if the switch is engaged it will really sound thin.
Since you're also attenuating the mic by -20db have you thought about using a mic with a flatter overall response and lower output? The AT8031 can also run on battery power if that's an important requirement and it would have better bass response and wouldn't need as much attenuation as the very high output K6/ME64.

To the original post, if you make sure any mic is getting the appropriate power (full phantom voltage, fresh battery with clean contacts, clean connection to "plug-in-power" etc.) then you'll get the best high SPL performance out of the mic.
Usually though the choking point is the mic input of the camera, which can often be overdriven in loud situations unless some attenuation is added somewhere in the chain between the mic and the camera input.

Marco Dias March 26th, 2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1033830)
Marco, do you have the bass rolloff switch on the K6 power supply set to flat or rolled off?

I have it set to Roll-off, I will switch it back to flat "-" and see if i get more bass like that.

I find the K6/ME 64 too sensitive, it's great for speeches and voices, but lacks bass when recording music ambience.

Here's a pic of my current set-up;

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...X1-9Medium.jpg

Guy Cochran March 26th, 2009 11:14 AM

Flip the FX1 into Manual Audio mode and make sure to watch the VU meters as you adjust the levels. The the SVM has a built in -10dB pad - use it in loud environments. I have recorded high SPL helicopters and bands with the RODE SVM. You can listen here. RODE SVM - Stereo Videomic on a boom and in the wind on Vimeo

Marco Dias March 27th, 2009 03:45 AM

Thanks Guy, for that link.

I liked how the drums sounded on that video.

I could hear/feel the bass very well.

I will definitely look into buying the Rode SVM.

Tom Hardwick March 27th, 2009 04:08 AM

The problem with using the Rode stereo mic on camera is that when you move, so do does the stereo sound stage. For anybody watching your films with cans on, it'll sound very weird.

Have you thought about recording to Minidisc or to a solid state recorder such as a Zoom 2?

tom.

Marco Dias May 9th, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Massengill (Post 1033830)

UPDATE:

Thanks Jay for the tip/advice.

I recently filmed a wedding with my K6/ME64 mic.

For speeches/voices I had the mic set to "Roll-off" and attenuator set to -10db.

For the dancing/mobile disco I switched the mic to "Flat" and the attenuator set to -20db.

The bass of the music was much better/richer, I did very little tweaking in post.

I will keep my K6/ME64 and give the Rode Stereo mic a miss.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips.

Regards.

Marco Dias

Allan Black May 9th, 2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1034385)
The problem with using the Rode stereo mic on camera is that when you move, so do does the stereo sound stage. For anybody watching your films with cans on, it'll sound very weird. tom.

Tom I think about it this way, it's like turning your head, the stereo 'turns' too. IMO the viewing audience never notices it, if it's a 180 degree pan they accept it based on the pix movement.

Marco, IMO the SVM sounds 'warmer' (a slight boost you can't get in post) in the 200-300hz area .. than the AT822.

Sorry, I missed this first time around :)

Cheers.