Converting mini plug to XLR - Rode Videomic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Converting mini plug to XLR - Rode Videomic

I have Rode Videomic. I am going to solder on an XLR connector to it, but don't know where to solder which wire to what.

Anyone know how?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I have Rode Videomic. I am going to solder on an XLR connector to it, but don't know where to solder which wire to what.

Anyone know how?

DON'T DO THAT! Instead, get the Rode VXLR adapter, that's made exactly for that purpose. rode vxlr | B&H Photo Video Not that you can't cut the cable and solder an XLR plug onto it but if you do, you've screwed up the mic for use with miniplug inputs and the proper adapter is just a couple of bucks more than the XLR connector would cost you.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yep, I'm sure they run on different impediances
Chris Rackauckas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah just buy an adapter. It saves you time, a headache, and money. Soldering(especially if you don't know what you are doing) could led to ruining your equipment and also could effect the output quality if cables are not properly done. Good luck and go for the adapter!!!

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I've already cut the cord, and I'm not at all happy to hear there was an adapter the whole time. I am not a happy camper!

I now must soder something to it, so we'll see what happens!
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I've already cut the cord, and I'm not at all happy to hear there was an adapter the whole time. I am not a happy camper!

Awww man. Hope all works well or you may end up looking/acting like this guy. Let us know how it goes. Take care!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Converting mini plug to XLR - Rode Videomic-angry.jpg  
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:

This is sort of a variation of the old carpenter's adage "Measure twice, cut once." Next time don't cut the cable until you know exactly where you're going to go from there. Personally, I'd put the TRS back on or send it to Rode for a repair (it matters what wire goes where) and order the adapter. Note that Rode uses a slightly non-standard wiring on the Videomic TRS - the tip and ring are jumpered together and both carry signal hot so that when you plug it into a stereo input the signal goes equally to both left and right channels. I don't know the details of how their XLR adapter is wired - I could tell you what pins the signals go to on the XLR but I'm reluctant to suggest it as that adapter might also have a capacitor to block phantom power from getting to the mic and zapping its electronics should it be plugged into a mic input that provides it. I'm very concerned about what might happen to the mic if you just solder an XLR on and then plug it in to a powered input. Mu best advice is to let Rode repair the cable and go from there. Miswiring it could zap the mic, the camera, or both.
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Eh, go for it--just remember to keep phantom power turned off.

What 'cha got? Red would go to pin 2 and shield would go to pin 1. Should work fine.
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Andy, thanks, that's what I needed, appreciate it! You've save me a trip to the audio store. They had told me ages ago and I had written it down but lost note.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Eh, go for it--just remember to keep phantom power turned off.

What 'cha got? Red would go to pin 2 and shield would go to pin 1. Should work fine.
Are you sure enough to bet the mic on it? I'd expect signal hot to go to pin 2 and shield to go to pin 3 with pin 1 left floating since pins 2 and 3 are at equipotential if phantom is accidently turned on. Shield to pin 1 as you suggest would send 48v directly into the mic's output if plugged into a live phantom source. If I were Jeff I'd at least send off an email to Rode and ask how their adapter is wired before doing anything.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Steve, Andy sound right, as it seems to be what I was told by my audio house, but it doesn't matter.

I'm taking it in for them to do it. The shield wire is way too fine for me to get soldered properly. Used to do lots of soldering to XLR connectors, but wire is SO tiny.

It is not made for rewiring that is for sure, the adapter would have been a much better idea.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Steve, Andy sound right, as it seems to be what I was told by my audio house, but it doesn't matter.

I'm taking it in for them to do it. The shield wire is way too fine for me to get soldered properly. Used to do lots of soldering to XLR connectors, but wire is SO tiny.

It is not made for rewiring that is for sure, the adapter would have been a much better idea.
Andy was right for the XLR side of a conventional balanced to unbalanced adapter but you have to be careful. Just knowing XLR pin 2 is signal hot and pin 1 is normally shield doesn't always tell the whole story. In usual case, pin 3 is jumpered to pin 1 in an XLR adapter designed to feed a balanced signal into an unbalanced input but that's the opposite of what you're trying to do. Since pin 3 is hot with 48v+ and pin 1 is ground when the input is providing phantom, I'm cautious about what might happen if you short them together. If you're going to have your audio house do the work, I'd still suggest you have 'em return it to the orginal TRS connector and get the Rode adapter. I'd be very surprised if putting an XLR on the cable won't some day come back to haunt you.

Just so you'll know, the Rane Notes webpage on audio interconnects shows the best way to go about it - Sound System Interconnection. See wiring diagram #13. But to do it that way means replacing the entire cable, not just the connector, with a 2-conductor plus shield cable. Signal hot goes to XLR pin 2, signal ground goes to XLR pin 3, cable shield goes to XLR pin 1 BUT is unconnected at the microphone end of the cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio