Recording in a comedy club question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 18th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording in a comedy club question?

I'm going to be recording a comedian over the next few days and have a little time to experiment.
I was going to try to hang a mic a couple of feet in front of one of their speakers (I have an ME2 Microphone that came with the Sennheiser Evolution 100 Series kit).
Will this work, or should I try a different microphone...or a different location for the mic?
I can't come directly out of their sound board because it's so old and has problems.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any help on this. I could also hang a Digital 8 camcorder just for audio near one of their speakers. BTW, I'm using a Canon GL2 for the video part of it.
Thanks in advance,
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If at all possible please get the microphone in front of the performer! Micing a speaker with a single mike is always a difficult proposition. Too close, you only get one driver (woofer or tweeter) too far and you risk people p[assing in fron or talking into the mic.

I think you best bet would be to tape your mic next to the house mic on the stand. This will give you good close coupling for the vocal and use another or one of the cameras built-in mics for ambience.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I tried using a wireless mic on the comedian (she walks around a lot), but the wireless picks up her voice directly, then picks up the sound coming from the speakers and that causes a slight echo effect.
Hmmm....
- John
Old September 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sounds like a tough room. The speakers you refer to, are these house mains or stage monitors?

How big is the stage? Too wide for a shotgun mic?

Another option would be to hang a cardioid horizontally (angled toward center stage) and an omin pionting down, from somewhaer in the middle to front of the room. Not knowing the room i'ts difficult to judge.

If you do end up placing mics in front of the speakers, use two mics. This way you don't have to worry about dominance of either driver and mic placement. If you use cardioid for lows and omni for highs you may get ambience for free... of course dealing with vocals only this may not be important. In fact you may not be interested in ambience either ;)

Good Luck on your endeavor
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'm going to do some testing tonight. I'll post if I find something that works.
- John
Old September 18th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

You want a slight echo effect. Otherwise your sound will, well, sound too dry. I'd put the lav on the comedienne and let er rip.
Old September 18th, 2003, 11:32 PM   #7
Trustee

I had a situation where the house amp was really questionable and the mic was garbage. I used my mic through my mixer and fed their amp with my feed. It worked well and they were very happy. I got what I wanted, decent audio.

That was one hell of a trade off, a $700 mic to replace a $15 radio shack, unbalanced piece of fine merchandise.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio