DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Audio Connection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/146973-audio-connection.html)

Manohar Hegde March 30th, 2009 01:29 PM

Audio Connection

I have Sony HVR-V1U with 2x XLR audio. This camera also came with the Sony video mic. I have an event to video tape that consists of dances, skits in an school auditorium with the capacity of 800.

I will be visiting the auditorium within two days to check the audio system.

Is it a good idea to connect the video camera which will be on the tripod with XLR cable directly from the camera to the audio mixer of the auditorium. I think I will be positioned just below the audio control room. If I do so, do I need to disconnect the onboard mic and connect to XLR cables for channel 1 and channel 2.

Please advise.

Thanks

Don Bloom March 30th, 2009 02:19 PM

see this thread-this should answer your question.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...deo-shoot.html

Manohar Hegde March 30th, 2009 09:23 PM

Thank you Don. That was good information. Is there a limit on the length of XLR cables as how long the distance if I connect the video camera with the sound mixer? Also is it a good way to connect both the channels on camera with the sound mixer using 2 xlr cables?

Thanks

Mike Demmers March 31st, 2009 01:09 AM

Up to 300-500 feet should work for a balanced connection.

Don Bloom March 31st, 2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manohar Hegde (Post 1036185)
Thank you Don. That was good information. Is there a limit on the length of XLR cables as how long the distance if I connect the video camera with the sound mixer? Also is it a good way to connect both the channels on camera with the sound mixer using 2 xlr cables?

Thanks

Well Mike answered the length question - as for hooking up so both channels of the camera record, simply hook up the XLR to the input on the camera place the switch on the camera to channels 1/2 and set the audio in the menu to "seperate" so that each channel can be set to record at different levels.
That is if the menu in the V1 is anything like the menu in the DSR and PD series of cameras and the Z1

Manohar Hegde March 31st, 2009 06:46 AM

Thankyou Don & Mike for the great inputs. This will help me a lot to get my first recording on HVR-V1U.

Thanks again.

Battle Vaughan March 31st, 2009 10:16 AM

The audio feed will probably be line level, if your camera has switchable mike/line inputs, remember to check this. You can't fix line level into an mike level input by turning the camera audio gain down because the preamps will already be overloaded...if you don't have switchable xlr inputs, you either need a mike level output from the audio board or a pad (audio attenuator) in-line with the camera..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Manohar Hegde March 31st, 2009 06:29 PM

Hi Battle:

Thanks for the input. Sony HVR-V1U has the option of selecting MIC / Line in both the channel inputs. So if I select Line I should be able to connect the XLR cable directly to the video camera from the mixer. Only I need to make sure that the phantom power is off.

Is it ok to connect both the channels with the XLR cables from the mixer by selecting the line on the camera?

Thanks

Steve House April 1st, 2009 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manohar Hegde (Post 1037983)
Hi Battle:

Thanks for the input. Sony HVR-V1U has the option of selecting MIC / Line in both the channel inputs. So if I select Line I should be able to connect the XLR cable directly to the video camera from the mixer. Only I need to make sure that the phantom power is off.

Is it ok to connect both the channels with the XLR cables from the mixer by selecting the line on the camera?

Thanks

Sure - if you're getting a stereo feed from the board send the left channel to input 1 and the right channel to input 2

Do take note that the board op is going to be mixing and riding gain for the audience, not your mix. You don't want your recording levels changing as he adjusts the FOH sound. If possible, take your feed from a spare Aux output or prefader bus on the board so it comes off ahead of his adjustments during the show. Sorry to be so vague on just how to do that but different boards have different setups and capabilities and without knowing what they have it's hard to get specific.

Jay Massengill April 1st, 2009 07:36 AM

In addition you'll need a source of ambient sound that will be up all the time, and it's unlikely the board feed/operator will have that since as already mentioned they are usually mixing for the totally different purpose of sound reinforcement to the audience.
If I only have two channels to record with, then usually one would come from the board and one would be from my own mic and mic preamp.
Again, lots of variability because every situation is different and there's too many setups to address in a lot of detail.
Ground loop hum is another consideration if you're working at a great distance from the mixing board and you're powering other AC devices like a video monitor connected to your camera and plugged into power right at your location.
It's good to have a device like a passive direct box with a ground lift switch to combat these situations. Many aux sends are unbalanced so if you've asked the board operator for a feed from an aux send, then a passive direct box can be helpful again in that situation. It balances the feed for the longer distance run on XLR cables, but it will knock the signal down to mic level.

Manohar Hegde April 1st, 2009 06:52 PM

Thank you Jay & Steve for the inputs. I think I am getting a good grip of it.

Thanks again everyone.