DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   how much rain on a shotgun? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/153844-how-much-rain-shotgun.html)

Michael Bendixen April 2nd, 2009 06:57 PM

how much rain on a shotgun?

How much rain can a shotgun mic with a rycote zeppelin take? We're in a lot of situations where we need to pack a shotgun deep into a rainy forest or on a boat. Do you have any suggestions for protecting the entire shotgun system and the delicate electronics of the shotgun microphone? Do you have any suggestions on how to pack a this system so the zeppelin doesn't get damaged?

Thanks,

Michael

David W. Jones April 2nd, 2009 07:51 PM

Non-lubricated condom.

Seth Bloombaum April 2nd, 2009 08:30 PM

A whole bunch of things, though as pointed out, a condom is the last line of defense. A mic can really sound OK in one.

The fur/dead cat/ road kill can help.

Let's see, from the outside in:
A pelican or storm case that the whole assembled zepp system can fit in. Unscrew the boom, unplug the cable from a short feeder cable that is captive to the zepp/handle, in the case it goes.

Out it comes and into a garbage bag.

Out it comes from the garbage bag and it's got a little half-wrap of garbage bag taped on over the top.

And then there's the condom...

Some mics are notoriously sensitive to humidity, much less rain. Schoeps comes to mind. You might do a forum search on "humidity".

Dan Brockett April 2nd, 2009 09:10 PM

If you pick up the next issue of HD Video Pro Magazine, (June 09) my entire audio column is devoted exactly to this subject. I talk about how to prep for recording sound in extremely adverse environments including jungle, snow and desert.

Condoms, hogs hair and plastic bags are your friends.

Dan

Renton Maclachlan April 2nd, 2009 10:37 PM

If you put a plastic bag over a blimp to keep it and the mic dry in the rain, won't you pick up the sound of rain on the plastic bag? What will that do to your audio? Do you want to hear raindrops on such a cover?

Steve Oakley April 2nd, 2009 10:39 PM

right. the cheap non-lube condoms work fine held on with tape or a rubber band.... usually gets a good laugh from the rest of the crew although sometimes you have to explain to clients. they usually get a good laugh out of it once they know.

Jordan Block April 2nd, 2009 11:45 PM

I dimly recall an article in the Coffey newsletter about how the folks on lost deal with this sort of thing. This appears to be the one: http://www.coffeysound.com/media/The...pring_2006.pdf

Hog's Hair is great for cutting down rain noise on the zep.

Seth Bloombaum April 3rd, 2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 1044881)
If you put a plastic bag over a blimp to keep it and the mic dry in the rain, won't you pick up the sound of rain on the plastic bag? What will that do to your audio? Do you want to hear raindrops on such a cover?

Right. Unless you are in a real downpour, the idea is that the zepp is bagged every moment that tape is not rolling.

The mic can be operated in a bag - but rain noise and wind rustle can be a problem.

Rick Reineke April 3rd, 2009 11:00 AM

The DPA windscreen is supposedly water resistant and can be folded up, like an accordion, but costs about twice as much as a normal Rycote zep.
Transporting zeppelins has always been a problem, especially in air travel and/or where luggage space is at a premium. That's why the DPA "could" be cheaper in the long run.

Mark Boyer April 3rd, 2009 01:59 PM

Rain cover for A Blimp

My all things audio book says to use some batting from a air conditoning filter works, Also I have seen a nylon or duck canvas cover with a end open and pointed down to keep the rain out.

B&H sells a Rycote rain cover:
Rycote | The Duck - Rain Cover for Modular and S-Series | 214101

Trew Audio sells the Rainman Boom Mic Rain Cover
Trew Audio - Mic Accessories - Windscreens - Rainman Boom Mic Rain Cover

Bob Grant April 4th, 2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1046603)
The DPA windscreen is supposedly water resistant and can be folded up, like an accordion, but costs about twice as much as a normal Rycote zep.
Transporting zeppelins has always been a problem, especially in air travel and/or where luggage space is at a premium. That's why the DPA "could" be cheaper in the long run.

The DPA windscreen also comes with a padded 'beret' that slips over the top of the unit to not only keep water out but also deaden the sound of the raindrops without interefering with sound pickup too much. We bought the whole rather expensive kit and I was pretty dubious about all the claims until a small crew from out of town insisted they had to shoot a piece to camera on a windy day at a lookout known to be very windy. They reported on their return that the DPA unit did indeed do what it was claimed to.

As I've never used this unit myself nor listened to this crew's recordings I can't vouch for it that much but so far nothing to indicate it doesn't work and certainly DPA are not known for dodgy kit.