VX200 - Using Wireless Mics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 6th, 2003, 07:50 PM   #1
New Boot

VX200 - Using Wireless Mics

Hello - new to this forum, but really like the fact that people are really friendly and supportive. Can someone tell me the best way to use The Eng100 wireless system. I have 2 wireless systems and the Bechtek adapter. I also have the stick mic plug that comes with the systems.

I have attatched the Bechtek and a wireless system. It seems that if I leave the audio in auto I get a very weak signal. If I put it in manual things are much better. What is the sweet spot on the audio meter? I have heard different db settings.

How do some of you set up your wireless mics? If I use two systems I am assuming I have to set each on their own frequencies. I also have a Beheringer portable mixer (it can run off batteries).

Well enough writing before I end up with a book. Thanks
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm new to wireless mics, but I do have the Sennheiser Evolution 100 and a vx2000. There is no sweet spot on the meter, but you do want to adjust the microphone gain on the wireless transmitter pack to a good level so that the Auto doesn't amplify extraneous noise. A good level is one which doesn't amplify ambient noise and allow speaker clipping without boosting system noise. You don't want to clip peaks even though the meters won't register much between words. So, just ask your subject to rehearse some material.

With the wireless mic, you'll have to test your subject to say some words to set the levels, including asking them to turn their
heads away from the mic if they are addressing a group. If he tends to yell across the room to others, you'll have to compensate for that. I used Auto mode for a speaker that was doing a martial arts instructor seminar and spoke softly/loudly to alternately address his subject and the audience.

I've never used two wireless systems, but each needs its own frequency. Also, I've read that you need to be very close to your
subject (within 20-30 feet) to avoid dropouts, even with UHF systems. I had no discernible dropouts in that range.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As for distance I've been about 400 feet away with my wireless lavs and have experienced no drop outs. Drop outs occure due to interference far more than distance. Of course a VHF system may not have the range of a UHF but we're talking UHF in this instance.

As for the "sweet spot" there really IS one. In digital that is a PEAK of no more than -12db and the audio should be no less than -20db on the bar. For example I set the audio on the 150's for manual, I don't use AGC but I know others do, the shotgun (SennME66) on channel 1 and the wireless lav on channel 2 with the gain levels set to no more than 50% on the bars, if I have to go more than that I switch to 'mic att' as that lower the level by 20db. BTW, this is pretty much my setup at receptions except no wireless and the shotgun is going to channel 1 and 2, I will then set channel 2 to about 1/2 the gain of channel 1.

Clear as mud right?
All I'm trying to say is over -12db and you'll be peaking and clipping the audio, really bad for a reception as the music will crash and pretty much can't be gotten back in post. Less than -20db and it's really too soft and you have to raise the levels quite a bit in post and then you can hear lots of background stuff in some cases.
Hope this helps,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Hey, I just remembered you said you're using the V2K, OOOPS, sorry, you can't adjust the seperate channels the way you can on the 150 can you?

If yes, great, if not then you'll need to adjust the Beachtek to the right levels.

Sorry about that, had my head wrapped a little too tight around the Chicago Cubs todays ;-)

Don
Old October 7th, 2003, 03:41 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the input. I have spent about 5 hours reviewing different posts about mics, etc. on this site and have learned a great, great deal. There is nothing like learning from others who have real world experience. I am still uncertain about one area. When using the manual audio in the VX2000 - there seems to be a little more hiss, but I seem to have better control on sound levels. What is the best way to use two Eng100 systems in auto audio mode and still get acceptable db levels? (attached to a Bechtek) I have checked the levels on the transmitters and recievers and have followed instructions in the systems manual and still seem to have very low levels of audio.
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #6
Contributor

Are you using XLR to connect from the receivers to the beachtek? There might be something wrong with your cables. Wireless kits usually have loud output, at least mine do. Also: does the beahktek support line level? If so, and if the wireless kits have monitor outputs you can try using these as line level outputs, unbalanced cabling, but since levels will be high (not mic level) you might get a better signal to noise ratio.
Old October 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Again, I use 150's not V2K's but if you have a hiss in the headphones you might not, probably won't hear it in the tape. I hear a slight hiss in my headphones but it is never there in the tape, it's just from turning up the volume for the phones. I watch the levels closely and if need be I flip the switch to 'mic att'- that for me is pretty common with the wireless. The best thing to do, if you have time, is play. Put the cam on a tripod, flip the screen around so you can see youself, and try ALL the different combinations available for audio and say to the camera what you are doing. That way when you load it up in your NLE you have a record of what you did. Sounds silly I know but it works for me, Sony's audio circuitry si not really the best in the V2K/Pd150 and the audio is 70% of what you see, so play and try different stuff until you find the one that works the best for you.
Don
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:33 PM   #8
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Brummitt : Thanks for the input. I have spent about 5 hours reviewing different posts about mics, etc. on this site and have learned a great, great deal. There is nothing like learning from others who have real world experience. -->>>

Yeah, just the other day I read 90% of the posts/threads in this audio section, and I'm glad to say that I learned quite a bit. :)
Jeff Smallwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio