Audio Monitors - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM   #46
Trustee

Aaron
Try the Brit designed speaker like KEF or Castle, they're very accurate with a flat response. You don't want monitors to be punchy, just flat and accurate. There a raft of canadian speakers that are actually made by ex british companies that take advantage of the nation Research Councils design and testing facilities.

Paradigm and Axiom both make proffesional monitors. Rega used to make a monitor .

The KEF Cresta is a small bookshelf speaker
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM   #47
Machinist Mate

Beaser, I use KEFs myself, they're not bad. Aaron, that is mysterious about no distortion figures listed for the Mackie.

But with all due respect to Jay, I am going to go back to what I always used to tell my audio customers: throw out the spec sheets and listen, listen, listen.

That's the only real way to know how speakers compare. The reason is, some companies (JBL and McIntosh are a couple of examples) are very conservative when stating specifications, while others, well, um, that depends on what the definition of "is" is. Hee hee. So it's not apples-to-apples sometimes.

I don't know why Mackie doesn't list THD, maybe because it's difficult to get true readings on bi-amped self-powered speakers. I doubt very much they are "overpowering" their components, that would put their reputation for longevity at risk. Or publishing hyped-up specs (it's not like them).

The extended frequency response is no doubt due to their use of a large passive radiator in addition to just the 8" woofer. As for the quality of their electronics, well their mic preamps are among the quietest in the world, and I know their power amps sound great and work reliably.

But you really have to let your ears be the judge.

BTW, I am not all about speakers' country of origin, but Aaron have you ever heard of Krix, made in the land of Oz?
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:39 PM   #48
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Butler : Clay,
Shielded cables are not needed for speakers. If you are talking about magnetic shielding to prevent monitor image being distorted by the speaker magnets, that depends. My KEFs are each not more than 2 feet away from the monitor and I've suffered no weird effects so far. Ear level is good. When you get some money set aside for speakers, go listen to a few. Enjoy. -->>>

I thought shielded cables were a good idea for Active Monitors. The ones I have seen have balanced XLR inputs, which suggests shielding. When the input is 1 V max, I think it would be a good idea.

I've seen specs on the Mackies. There was a frequency graph somewhere. It showed response to be +/- 3 db over the frequency range. I believe the frequency responce of the Event Studio Precision 6's are about the same. I thought that the Event sounded clearer than the Mackies.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM   #49
Trustee

Mike, I'm sure the Mackies are fine and Jay had never heard them it was just his advice when I sent him the spec sheet. And yeah I'm not sycophantic enough to trust just him ;) Heaps of people use tha love the Mackies and I'm sure they're excellent. In fact for what I do they're probably better that I could ever tell ;)

Cheers
Aaron
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:29 PM   #50
Machinist Mate

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Sacher :
I thought shielded cables were a good idea for Active Monitors. The ones I have seen have balanced XLR inputs, which suggests shielding. When the input is 1 V max, I think it would be a good idea.

Definitely, Joe. That's line level program material, and it's just the same as the feed from your mixer/preamp to your power amp. But he was just talking about generic speakers, connecting to the output of a power amp. The fattest zip cord Home Depot will sell is the order here. (I have never been a believer in Monster Cables and such things.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio