AudioTechnica AT-895 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 13th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

AudioTechnica AT-895

Does anyone operate the 895 adaptive array mics from AT?

If you have seen their demo video you can't come away being anything but impressed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

I played with one at NAB in 2002. It is impressive for some applications and a few of the broadcast networks have bought a few.

But they do have some problems. The AT salesman was very candid about the microphones and said they really are not a universal solution.

Trying it in the AT booth at NAB wasn't sufficient to disclose problems to me. But the salesperson said there were problems.
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Mike,

We are looking to use it in a law enforcement capacity rather than for standard production. The reach and directional capabilities are two of the features that make it very attractive, especially the ability to ignore amibient sound around the mic itself.

I'll post again as soon as I field test the system.

RB
Old October 14th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

I cover law enforcement and I gotta tell you I'd love to have this microphone to use when I'm squatting next to the SWAT tank and trying to get good sound. The AT does a good job of rejecting the low-frequency stuff that just drives a normal shotgun nuts.

Don't know how it would do around weapons discharge though. Might want to as Audio-Technica about that before you expose the microphone to that level of shock. Mighty expensive to repair one of those microphones.

I'd guess you may want a fuzzy cover for the microphone as well. May be hard to find but I never asked them about that.
Old October 15th, 2003, 11:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Personalized Service.

Mike,

I'm not so much concerened with performance in loud noise situations such as a shooting range as I am in a situation where we have to "reach out and touch someone" with the capability of the mic.

Regardless, we have ordered two of them and should have delivery by the end of this month. They are going to be used under some extreme conditions. If you want any further details, fell free to contact me via email and I will be happy to share the info with you on a personal basis. Right now it is too sensetive to post in a public forum.

Regards, RB

GO MARLINS!!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio