Good Dynamic Handheld Mic In $100 Range at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 5th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Trustee

Good Dynamic Handheld Mic In $100 Range

Looking for a good, natural sound with good resistance to handling noise. Application is spoken word of men and women who are inexperienced mic handlers.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #2
Major Player

You could try a Sure 58 for $100 or Beta 58 for $160. I've used the Beta for voiceovers. They are both pretty good.

There are a lot of choices in a dynamic mic in that price range.
Rob Easler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Trustee

I like my AKG D230. It's around $130 at B&H. I was amazed at the quality. The spoken word was much better than a sennheiser ME66.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=128222&is=REG

The EV635 is right at $100 mark
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #4
Trustee

Anyone know anything about how the Beyerdynamic M58 sounds?
Is it true that a larger diaphragm on a dynamic gives a warmer sound? That AKG you have Bryan seems to have a good-sized diaphragm (at 50mm) compared to some others I see mentioned. The EV635 is 36mm and the M58 is 40mm. How do you think the D230 would work for voiceovers?
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Personally,I think the AKG would be great. Maybe not compared to a large diafram condenser but like I said , to me it sounds better than the ME66.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #6
Machinist Mate

For years I have sworn by the SM58 as a vocal mic. Whenever possible I choose it for spoken voice applications, either on a podium, mic stand or handheld. It's also good and rugged, will last a lifetime.
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #7
Trustee

Mike, are you talking about the M58? Or who makes the SM58?
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Mike refers to the shure sm58. It's considered a standard for live vocals. Many singers bring around there own Neumann km105, these are also very poplular. But very expensive for a stage mic.

Same mic Rob was suggesting.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:45 PM   #9
Trustee

The SM58 is a cardioid mic. I'm looking for an omni. Thanks anyway, though.
Old November 8th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #10
Machinist Mate

Oh yeah, Dave, the Shure SM58 is definitely a cardioid. Your initial request didn't mention anything about directionality. Actually I usually avoid omnis except for lavaliers.
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #11
Trustee

Okay. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to order three mics
and compare them myself. Then I'm going to write a mini review
here so anyone interested can see how they fare regarding
sensitivity, sound quality, susceptiblity to wind noise, et cetera.
I looked at that Neumann but it wasn't omni. I considered a Sanken until I saw it costs $2300! I guess I'll just have to listen
for myself. I bought a mic once (ME64) on advice of another and
I've never been that happy with it. Here are the ones I'll compare: AKG D230 (thanks Bryan), EV RE50N/D, and Beyerdynamic M58. Should be getting them in next week.
Old November 8th, 2003, 11:18 PM   #12
Trustee

P.S. For what it's worth, I checked the frequency response specs on these mics. The Beyer looked good and the AKG was as good or trailing by a notch. The EV was rocky. I look at it this way: A listen is worth a thousand words. I'm looking forward to getting them all together. I'm used to doing audio comparos: sound cards (TerraTec), mics, speakers (Swans). I'll get to the bottom of all this and I'll let you know what's up.
Old November 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #13
Machinist Mate

Ah yes, listen before you buy, that's what I used to tell folks when I managed an audio store and people would come in all fired up to buy some speaker they had read about in a magazine. They were all set to make a buying decision without ever even listening to the product. That's when I would walk them over to my demo wall and start switching on different pairs of speakers, saying "forget about woofer diameter, 2-or-3-way, horn or dome or cone tweeter, or even that magazine article, which ones do you like the sound of?" It makes equal sense to actually demo mics and choose the one that sounds best. A listen really IS worth a thousand words.
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:09 PM   #14
Trustee

And a listen could save you a thousand dollars as well. Just look at anyones closet or basement shelves.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio