Details on Oktava 012 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 13th, 2003, 05:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Details on Oktava 012 ?

I was just curious if anyone has ever seen a polar diagram for the 012?

I've hear great things about the mic, but can't find any technical stuff, particularly on the hypercardioid capsule.

If anyone knows where to look, or has the gear to test one, I would love to know.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Martin, is this what you are after?

http://www.megaaudio.de/produkte/oktava/tech_mk12.html

Damn they look like good mics!

Cheers
Aaron
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey thanks Aaron,

They do look like good mics. That's an incredibly even off axis for a $100 mic. I think I'm going to put my blueline on Ebay, and "trade down".

Thanks again Aaron
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Martin, I just looked at those frequency response graphs again and can't figure out why they have 3 lines on them and not one. Can't be frequency cause that's one of the graph axis.

Are they angle from centre? Can't be cause they don't really match the polar diagram.

Anyway why are these things so cheap? Do they need a powering module for them?

Cheers
Aaron
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

Well, the spec sheet calls for 48 volts power, and a current consumption of 8 milliamps, does your mixer have phantom power on the mic inputs?
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Those seperate lines are usually angle from center like you suggest. Probably 90 and 180. It looks reasonable to me, in this case the 90 and 180 lines show problems not apparent on the polar diagram. But these still look like great mics for the money. I don't know how they are so cheap.
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #7
Trustee

FYI
Oktava builds mics for export and processes these through ligitmate retailers and distributors. The price is around $200 for the 012 and about $80 - 90 more for a kit including an Omni , cardoid , hypercardoid capsule and a 10db pad.

These mics are apparently tested, but remember this is Russia. What do you think happens to the QC rejects. That's right, they find there way out the back door and discounters sell them dirt cheap ( for $100 a pop) . They also have a high failure rate and may not be to spec.

AVR Communications in Scarborough (suburb of Toronto) are carrying then now and they get under $200 canadian for a single and under $300 canadian for the kit. They also guarantee the product.
Be warned, the $100 specials are a hit and miss proposition. So pay an extra few bucks and you get piece of mind and a mic guaranteed to work.

In the US try the sound room
http://www.oktava.com/

a review

http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=55
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio