DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Question on Audio adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/17316-question-audio-adapter.html)

Danny Santos November 19th, 2003 08:10 AM

Question on Audio adapter

I am a newby and still learning and again soliciting your help.

I have a Peavey Power Amp Mixer where one connects a DVD/Karaoke player and numerous microphones. In addition to the main speakers (2) the mixer has a audio output for speaker monitor as well. I am hoping that I can hook up an audio cable (1/4 to xlr) from the mixer to a BeachTek adapter. My friends love to sing Karaoke and I am hoping to video and record clean sounds without the surrounding noise and howlings.

Will this work? Hopefully it will not fry any audio circuit board on my g2? Is is true that any audio adapter convert in-sound to microphone level before it goes into the camera?

Thanks!

Mike Butler November 19th, 2003 06:54 PM

It'll probably fry the BeachTek first.
I wouldn't run speaker-level audio into it or the GL. Hopefully your Peavey (you didn't say what model) has a tape output or line output for recording. (most mixers do)

Just move the MIC/LINE switch on the BeachTek to LINE, to match the level coming out of the board. (you could also use the Aux mini jack, but reallly don't we prefer XLR plugs?) And of course, you can tweak the level controls on the BeachTek to get just right.

Don Berube November 19th, 2003 10:22 PM

Do not use an amplified speaker-level output to feed any recording device mic/ line input without first passing it through a D.I. Box - this will allow you to convert the signal to a balanced, low impedance mic level output.

I own two Pro-Co AV-1 boxes just for this type of situation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=223787&is=REG

but the Pro-Co DB-1 box will suffice as well
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=208120&is=REG

- don

Danny Santos November 19th, 2003 10:52 PM

Hi Mike and Don, the Peavey Mixer Model is XR680E and yes it has a tape in and out but with RCA jacks.

So is it safer then to hook up to the tape out of the mixer and to the line in of the BeachTek?

Thanks again!

Don Berube November 19th, 2003 11:11 PM

It basically depends upon how far you will have your recording device from those high-impedance, unbalanced coaxial RCA outputs... The sooner that you can convert those high-impedance, unbalanced coaxial RCA outputs into low-impedance, balanced three conductor (XLR) mic level signals, the better off you will be.

In a pinch, if you are only going to be several feet or so away from those low-end outputs - then usually just adapting the outputs to male XLR will suffice. But you run the risk of inducing noise and hum this way, especially if you are in a hokey hotel ballroom with crummy power and crummy, noisy lighting transformers.

Think of the Direct Inject Box (D.I. Box) as your best friend in these situations.

Definitely plan on using the DI Boxes (one per channel) if you have to run those low-end outputs over a long distance across the room. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry,,, the more proactive you are with setting up your sound equipment, the more inclined you will be to producing clean, quality sound. If you are charging for your services, then you owe it to your client to produce clean, flawless audio free of any noise and hum.

- don

Mike Butler November 20th, 2003 12:59 PM

Those Combo PA heads are compact, convenient, and cheap ...they are also a compromise.

Heck, a 150 w/ch amp with an 8-in board with effects, all for less than the individual price of each component, it's not going to be the cleanest quietest signal on earth, but at least it does offer line level tape jacks.

It's only natural that they be the cheaper high-impedance RCA outputs at this price point. Most of their users if they are using the tape jacks are just going to set a home cassette deck on top of this unit. (BTW, I am not being snooty and dissing Peavey, I have owned some of their gear for years, and their factory service dept. is one of the best in the business, it's just that this type of unit is kind of guitar-amp grade, if you know what I'm saying)

It's true that you can run a 6 foot RCA cable fairly reliably, but there is nothing better than converting to low impedance balanced lines for those long runs. I have used 150 foot snakes for both mic and line-level signals completely noise-free.

Those direct boxes suggested by Don (thanks, Don, for the links) are just what the doctor ordered. They contain a transformer so you don't have to go buy one separately which converts the hi-impedance to low for the long run. Plus both kinds of jacks to accommodate the different types of equipment on the market.

Behringer also makes some boxes, including a multi-channel one so you won't need to buy two for stereo. Their prices run cheaper, I don't know how the quality compares to Pro-Co. (I have always had good results with Pro-Co cables, although many people just love Behringer electronics)