Beachtek White Noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Beachtek White Noise

I bought a beachtek dxa-4p for my gl1 last summer to beef up on the aural side of production. However, since then I've found that the beachtek introduces a rather unpleasant white noise floor that makes it impossible to bump up the gain on anything without hearing a horrible hiss in the background.

Does anyone else with a beachtek face this problem? I've ruled out a number of other factors that could contribute to such a problem: it's not AGC on the GL1 (does same thing on my friend's VX-2000 with manual gain control), it's not my AT-835b or XLR cable (those work fine going straight into the XLR'S on another friend's DVX-100P). Does anyone have any experience with a different make/brand of XLR to mini-plug adapter? After dropping $170 on the beachtek i'd expect more!

Any and all help is appreciated!
Old November 19th, 2003, 10:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

I"ve not detected any issues with the old Studio 1, now Sign Video adapters.

It has been observed in the past that Beachtek sometimes painted areas inside the box that should have been left bare so that the shielding would be more complete. \

You might lift the lid and see if there is paint on the joints between box sections or under the connectors, controls and switches. Scrape the paint of if so. Might solve the problem.
Old November 21st, 2003, 08:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike, I cracked the box and had a peek...nothing looked too out of the ordinary. There was a little paint but nothing major. However I think I've been falsely accusing the beachtek. The short we just wrapped was shot on my friend's VX2000, and it appears that the hiss is just a normal part of his camera's audio. It's not very noticeable unless you have a discriminating ear or boost something up in post (thus raising the noise floor too). This was despite watching levels...it was there on both the on-board mic and the beachtek. Oh well, I'll try my hardest to notch filter it out. Thanks again for your help!
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:06 AM   #4
Trustee

You'll probably need noise reduction software instead of a notch filter for this problem. It may have some clearly detectable peaks that you can knock down with a notch, but generally is going to need a broad-band filter to get better results in total.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:19 AM   #5
Outer Circle

Devin, why not just e-mail Beachteck? They are very helpful.

http://www.beachtek.com
info@beachtek.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your help guys!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio