Sound card suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 25th, 2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Sound card suggestions?

I have been looking for a solution to capture audio from several sources, such as 4 or 5 mics. I used to use a Korg D12, which was great, except that it wasn't overly portable. Several people have suggested using a laptop P.C.. This sounds like it might work.

But the problem is the same as with most recording devices, only one, maybe two audio inputs. Are there any laptop sound cards that offer several inputs?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Take a look as some the M-Audio's portable solutions. There are USB2 and Firewire devices that will allow that many inputs and outputs.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I recently played with a setup using the Tascam FW-1884. I thought it was awesome. Tons of ins and outs, 8 mic pres, and automated sliders. The board sounded great, had super low latency and was running on a laptop that just barely whispered.

Like M-Audio's it connects via Firewire. I think it runs about $1200.
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #4
Capt. Quirk

I checked out the M-Audio site. I liked the cards, but they had breakout boxes. Is there something similar for laptops? Mind you, this is not a course I have decided on, just checking out my options.

I miss my Korg, but it just didn't cut it for field work. 40 gig HD, 12 channels, several inputs, and a mixer. It just didn't have battery power, which is why I'm considering the laptop. If I were to use the M-Audio interfaces, like the Delta USB 6x6, would I be able to send it to the laptop as 6 channels thru the USB?

And thanks for the help :)
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here is a 4 in 10 out Firewire:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/fw410.php

Or USB interfaces:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/m-audio/USBaudio.php
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I used a Digigram 4 channel PC card in my laptop for a while before changing to a MotU 828. They are both good.

here's a link to one of the digigram cards

Best,
Helen
Helen Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #7
Capt. Quirk

Thanks Helen, I'll look into those. And welcome to the board :) I looked into the Lynx cards last night, but they were rather pricey. Very pricey, since they don't make cards for laptops, and you would have to buy some sort of adaptor that costs almost as much as the card!
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio