wireless lapel setup for PDX10 - your choice??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 30th, 2003, 07:04 PM   #1
New Boot

wireless lapel setup for PDX10 - your choice???

Have little experience with lapel mics but are looking at purchasing a quality unit for corporate and TV interview work.

I will be using the unit with a PDX10 (great little camera), in a wide variety of conditions (indoor/outdoor, noisy/quiet).

My research so far has bought up three quality options around the US$400-500 mark. They are -

Sennheiser Evolution 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Lavalier Wireless System with EK100 Receiver SK100 BodyPack Transmitter and ME2 Microphone (C 740-772 MHz)

Audio-Technica ATW Series - Camera Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier System with ATW-R100x Receiver, ATW-T101x Body-Pack Transmitter and MT831cT5 Lavalier Microphone with TA5F Connector

Sony UWP-C1 (66) True Diversity Portable Camera Mountable UHF Wireless Lavalier Microphone System (782 to 806 MHz)

Was wondering what your opinions were. What to avoid? In field experience etc etc.
Which would you buy??

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser.

Thanks,
wes
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Just from what I've heard, the Audio Technica is large and heavy
and the Sony's mic is not too good, and the whole system
might not be the quietest. The Senn is well regarded.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I have an Audio-Technica ATW system and it's excellent. Crystal clear in dense urban settings. But, as Dave alluded, it's built to take daily beatings. The receiver is a solid metal casing, as is the body transmitter. In brief, it's designed to hang on the back of a full-size ENG camera.

The Evolution has a lot of good publicity buzz lately. I've never tried one myself. It doesn't look much, if any, smaller than the ATW but perhaps it is.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio