Wedding Audio Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 7th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Wedding Audio Help

Hey guys;

I'm new to this forum and have learned much by reading threads. I have been shooting digital video a while for sports events so never too worried about audio. I am shooting my first wedding this weekend. This is my setup. 1)Two cameras, VX2000 and DSR 250. The 2000 has a beachtek w/2 XLR inputs. 2) 1 Samson UM1 UHF Diversity Lavalier Wireless mic, 3) access to several Shure SM57's and several Shure low-impedance mics. I am leaning toward putting the wireless on the officiant and feeding it to the VX2000 in balcony; plugging the low impedance Shures directly to my 250 to make sure I capture all video and audio w/out having to stop camera. Question: Can I plug the Shures and wireless into the 250? I will be very discreet w/mic placement etc... Any other suggestions VERY MUCH appreciated.
Chuck Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Wedding Audio Help

<<<-- Originally posted by Chuck Kay : Hey guys;

The 250 will handle the sound better than the 2000. Normally the Groom gets the wireless. Check and see if the B&G will walk away while the O continues to talk. Happened to me when they went to give roses to their mothers.

Where are you planning to place the 57s?
Old December 8th, 2003, 02:14 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mike. I have no problem putting wireless on groom. That makes sense. I do plan on scoping out the scene very thoroughly and attend rehearsal as well. The Shure Mics I have are actually 2 SM58's and 2 SM94's. The 94's are unidirectional. I was planning on using those thinking they would pick up overall and ambient sound better. Placement would depend on the amount of space I would have and the position of wedding party. There is a choir loft with a rail that seperates it from pulpit. I was planning on placing mics just behind and slightly higer than the loft rail to try and hide mic stands. If that doesn't work, I may be able to place mics in corners of loft. Can I plug wireless AND shure mics into my 250? If I need to get a mixer/amp I probably could. Then I could plug all mics into mixer and mixer straight into my camera. Thanks for help and all suggestions.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

You probably won't be very happy with dynamic microphones at any distance from the sound source. The 58, for example, is designed to be used at tonsil distances.

When you check the facility, take one with you and try it out.
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #5
New Boot

What do you suggest? I can get access to most any type of microphone. I was hoping my wireless would be good enough to pick up spoken vows, etc.... and my SM94's (designed to mic groups and pick up from distances) would be good for ambient and house sound like piano, organ, amplified solos... I do have another hand held wireless mic. It is also a Samson UM1 UHF Diversity mic. Thanks for all your help.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #6
Major Player

When placing a lav on the groom, I can normaly pick up the groom, bride and officiant very well. I run a shotgun on my front camera, and if there are readers, soloists, two more wireless.The sound you capture at a wedding will vary greatly. At my last wedding, I could hear everything going on in the church except the groom. I swear! I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak their vows that quietly. I could hear the minister and the bride perfectly.
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

The problem with using, 'to whom it may concern microphones,' is that everything will sound like mush with the reverb one normally gets in a large open space.

Try to get the dynamic microphones right on the instruments if you can. Is the organ a pipe organ or electric? i.e., does it have real pipes or big speakers?

One microphone for room tone will be enough to give it some life.

I'd use the other wireless for the solos if you can. Put it on the podium or their mic stand.
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #8
New Boot

total newbie advice

Hi, I just shot my first wedding a while ago and am editing it with Premiere. I used two cameras, with my wireless mic attached to the one that was closest to them. The results were great: you hear the vows clearly, plus subtle things like the B&G whispering to each other. The second cam just picked up ambient sound that I probably won't use, except for maybe applause at the end. I also recorded the house audio (minister/piano/solos/etc) to a CD (to a cpu first) that I'm mixing in with the wireless mic audio. The cool effect was that (obviously) you're hearing the minister's voice twice-over (house audio plus groom's mic picking up the reverb). At first, I didn't like this b/c the CD recording of him was really crisp, so I thought about cutting off the wireless mic except when the B&G talk. This would have been really tedious, so that's one strike. But then I ended up liking it, because the B&G would also have been hearing a reverb of the minister's voice, but they heard each other's voices normally...so it puts you right there with them: you hear exactly what they heard. Priceless.

This technique might not work too well, however, if the minister's wireless mic had picked up the B&G clearly and then you have reverb of them as well to deal with. But if that's not the case, try mixing the two audios together. I think you'll like it.
Zack Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio