Azdan SGM-2x vs ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Azdan SGM-2x vs ?

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to audio for videography, except for my few expensive advantures.

Does anybody know how the Azdan SGM-2x compared to the "popular" shotgun mic's mentioned around here? Like the ME66?

How does the SGM-2x shotgun extension affect the pattern?

Got a couple of them (why? can't remember), seems to work pretty good, but then again don't want to miss out on anything.

I shoot mainly indoor sports event. For voice, I simply use a lavalier wireless mic.

Thanks.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Shotgun mics

Hi Law,

There is a good shot gun review here http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

I've also read that Sony's 672 shotgun is great for sports.

Bob
Bob Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey,

Excellent review, thanks.

Guess I will keep using them until something majorly wrong shows up.

Next time, I am going to use both of them at opposite end of the big "room", run long XLR cables and mix them, which then get transmitted out to the cameras. Right now I use only one on a tall light stand, pointing at the center.

If anybody has anything to say about using more than one shotgun mics to pick up the event sound and mixed, please do so.

So far I used only cable, tempted to use the Samson plug-in AX-1 to transmit from the shotgun mic to the mixer, but the output is too soft from the AM1 receivers. But now I have gone to UHF Micro32 diversity receivers which uses 9v instead of AAA, it has a lot higher output with much less noise. It is wonderful, but now I am stucked with a bunch of AM1 receivers.

B&H should put a warning on any sales items containing the AM1 receivers on their Internet product pages -- warning, this is a TOY, adults please refer to UHF Micro32 diversity receivers. With the money, I could have bought another low-end camera.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio