DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   shockmounting an me-66 on top of camera... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/18806-shockmounting-me-66-top-camera.html)

Matthew de Jongh December 25th, 2003 11:23 AM

shockmounting an me-66 on top of camera...

i am experimenting with my new dvx-100a trying to mount a senn me-66 on top of the camera.

i specifically didn't post this on the dvx-100 forum because i think this applies to anything in the dvx-100/pd-150/170/vx1000-vx2000 size range...

i have a couple of mounts i'm trying, the one that came with the camera for an add-on camera, it wasn't high enough, the mic was definitely in picture.

i have the audio-technica 8415, it works well enough, it tends to bounce around a LOT and it seems to move the center of gravity too far forward.

i have the sennheiser one, the mzq6 is the best of both, it is high enough, lets you keep the mic reasonably centered weightwise, but it offers no shockmounting and in a really quiet environment you can hear the camera zoom and you can makeout any hand movements on the camera body.

i am wondering if maybe i just need to turn down the gain settings so i can't hear the extra noise?

i guess i like the simplicity of the mzq6 and i'm trying to find a way to make it work?

i love the design of the at 8415 but the rubberbands just let the mic move around a little too much and the way it mounts in the shoe is a little too inprecise for me.

i have found very little alternatives to the things above and very little discussion on this, do most people just not mount mic's like the me-66 on their camera??

matthew

Chris Hurd December 25th, 2003 11:43 AM

You need a LightWave Systems Mini-Mount.

Marco Leavitt December 25th, 2003 01:00 PM

It's surprising how few products are out there, isn't it? I camera mount the 8415 and don't have any problems. Do you cross both the rubber bands at each end of the shock mount? I don't have a problem at all with my ME66 flopping around when I do it like that. It's really tight. Sennheiser also makes the MZS-CAM, but it has an incredibly cheap plastic mount that is very brittle and shatters easily.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=194397&is=REG

The best on-camera shockmount is supposed to be the mini-mount from Lightwave.

http://www.lightwavesystems.com/products/minimount/default.htm

As you might guess, it's really pricey, but people who have it say it's worth every penny.

This has all actually been covered in here many times, but I'm astonished at how few options there are for people to suggest every time it comes up. Makes me think I need to start manufacturing on-camera shockmounts. How about one that incorporates an XLR adapter?

Marco Leavitt December 25th, 2003 01:02 PM

Chris,
Hey, you must have posted that while I was writing my response! :)

Bryan Beasleigh December 25th, 2003 01:15 PM

I use the AT 8415 and have no problem. i also use a mini rover grip to mount the mic to.

Matthew de Jongh December 25th, 2003 02:27 PM

i'm not sure what you mean about crossing both rubber bands?

the way they came they weren't overlapped with each other if that is what you mean?

i can try that. the problem is half the mic moving around and half the mic being a little too far forward weight wise.

i liked that sennheiser mzs-cam, it actually looks more like what i think would work, it would let me move the mic back a little bit for weight/balance.

the lightwave systems site mentions an sm2122 but i can't find a picture of it anywhere...

mounting the senn 500 receiver is a whole other post...not thrilled with the bracket1 i got, too damn heavy and moves the weight waaaayyy too far forward.

the rover thing didn't look that much better. i need to keep the weight centered, the dvx-100 with the bracket1 and the at-8415 is nosediving and it kills you to hold it for very long, i need to do a lot of handheld on the go stuff!

matthew

Marco Leavitt December 25th, 2003 02:42 PM

"i'm not sure what you mean about crossing both rubber bands?"

This is hard to describe, but I will try. At each end of the shockmount are two rubber bands that form a tic tac toe pattern. As I'm sure you already know, before sticking the microphone though the middle, you pull the bands past each other and then poke the microphone through so its tighter. Some people find it too hard to do this with the second rubber band, and just stick the microphone through. I was trying to say that you really need to do it with all four rubber bands for it to be stable, instead of just two or three as is sometimes done.

Bryan Beasleigh December 25th, 2003 02:55 PM

That's why I use the mini river, so I can hold the camera tight , with elbos locked into my body.

Why don't you do some searching onthe mini rover, in these forums. You can mount the receiver, mic and have a steady camera mount. The choice is yours

Matthew de Jongh December 25th, 2003 04:37 PM

well i overlapped the rubber bands and its better.

its still a bit more weight forward than i would prefer...

part of the issue is the brass? adaptor that connects it to the shoe mount, it keeps loosening up and the mic will swing left or right.

i don't understand why the damn bracket1 is so heavy, the senn-500 receiver isn't all that light but it still isn't heavy enough to justify such a heavy bracket, and why does it put the weight so far forward?

i guess if it was on a tripod it wouldn't be an issue at all.

i'll have to look into the rover thing.

matthew

Matthew de Jongh December 25th, 2003 04:58 PM

ok if you goto...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300643&is=REG

and click on the photo they show the at-8415 plus another thing that is a sled version, what is that??

that might be better suited for moving the mic back and might even offer some options for a place to mount the receiver??

matthew

Bryan Beasleigh December 25th, 2003 08:12 PM

I went through all this pain, crap and corruption and I know exactly where you are coming from. The only thing better than a mini rover is a mini rover and a marzpak.

Use search

Marco Leavitt December 26th, 2003 09:10 AM

" part of the issue is the brass? adaptor that connects it to the shoe mount, it keeps loosening up and the mic will swing left or right."

Is it coming loose at the hotshoe, or where the adapter connects to the shockmount? You really have to add a rubber washer to prevent the adapter from either seizing up or coming loose from the shockmount. You can use a regular rubber band (wrapped around, and around) as a washer if you need to. If it's coming loose at the hotshoe, I'd go to Home Depot and see if you can find a locking ring that has the same threads, but gives you more torque.

"and click on the photo they show the at-8415 plus another thing that is a sled version, what is that??"

I don't recognize that shockmount. (I'm assuming you're referring to the shockmount that comes up when you click on link labled "K-Tek - K-SUS Microphone Suspenders (Pair).") I think K-Tek has a Web site. Maybe there's more information there? I haven't used them, but those polymer suspension thingys look like a waste of money to me, by the way. I've yet to hear how they're supposed to be better than rubber bands. Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has used them.