XM2 + MA300 + AT 835B questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 30th, 2003, 06:42 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XM2 + MA300 + AT 835B questions

Hello all. Actually, these are not specifically XM2 questions so I hope this is the right place!

I am putting together a series of simple training videos for a former employer. Part of the deal was that they bought some nice new kit for the project so now I am the proud user (sadly not owner) of an XM2 with a bunch of accessories, including the MA300 and an AT835B shotgun mic.

The first silly problem I have is that the mic is too thin for the MA300 ring! The way I've temporarily resolved this is to clamp the mic into the ring using the foam windshield to "bulk it out" but I was wondering whether anyone knows of any purpose built adaptor. I'm sure I'm not the only person with the MA300 and an AT835B!

Second question : I'm unsure what the purpose of the BNC connector is on the MA300 and under what circumstances it might be used. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

And finally (and the least XM2 related question of the lot I'm afraid!). Along with the AT835B we bought a cheap(ish) fishpole. Foolishly I assumed that this would come supplied with some sort of basic connector so I could mount the mic to the boom. Not so. The supplier has told me that I need a Rycote softie at around £190 or a Rycote basket at around £450! Can anyone tell me if these are my only alternatives or whether there is a cheap and cheerful solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and again my apologies if these should have been posted elsewhere.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 11:14 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I've moved this thread to the audio forum, lets hope some people
in here know the answers!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

whats m-300?
for good and cheap :_) ( there is no such a word )mounting solution chec www.cavision.com
they have something similar torycote but in half price
you cant blame rycote for the price its inglish product made by people that live in pounds and until now had almost monopoly on that kind of product
for cheap mountings check the b&h site of profesional audio ,they ship worlwide and very relible
for better camera mounting chec the lightwave products ( they were bought by rycote so there is no competision)
for used products that you want
check
www.trewaudio.com
www.coffeysound.com
www.collosalsound.com
or check on ebay sometimes you might find there achep stuff

hope that helps
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Oleg, I'll have a look at those sites.

The MA-300 is an adaptor that fits on to the shoe of a Canon XM2/GL1 and gives two XLR audio channels.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM   #5
Major Player

ok-that comes on top and dont have phantom , am i right ?
never worked with this so really dont cnow what is bnc for ,but my guiss is for aditional video out that probably comes threw the hot shou for on top monitoror something like that
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yup, you're right (shame about the lack of phantom, eh?). The bnc is for video out as you rightly say, I just couldn't figure out a use for it! I guess a monitor would make sense! thx again.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio