Best stereo zoom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #1
Outer Circle

Best stereo zoom?

Who makes the best stereo zoom mic? What models?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #2
Major Player

no one
the stereo zoom mikes is idiotic name that companies wich manifacturing low end rubbish for people that not understand a thing what is ms recording is
the with of the stereo immeg is the difference in potencials between the mid and side adress cupsuls ( m+S and m-s)
as grate that the mid will be the stereo immege will be narrow and it working for wide stereo in opposit way
for best result ,the best way is to record separate tracks of mid and side and deal with the wideness in the post( you dont need ms mixer facillity for that only split y conector with inverting one of the conectors in fase)
that way you will get 3 different signals wich coming to your mixer
the mid ,the inverted mid and the side with plaing between the volium of the side signal you can make stero image as wide you want to
for peole that like to get complitly stereo immage with one mike
there are good stereo gun mikes that have 2 options for wide image ( sanken cs-5,at 835 st)
even if you are recording the complitly stereo image you can convert it to ms and change the wigth again in the post( the same way with the splitter)
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:59 AM   #3
Outer Circle

Oleg, thanks. That's what I kind of thought but I wasn't sure. So no one makes a "good" stereo zoom, then?
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Major Player

no
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Outer Circle

At least one stereo zoom mic (make and model) should stand out I would think. Surely you're not implying they are all exactly the same. Since your "no" answer most likely implies you believe there is no one better or good stereo mic on the market---and I'm not entertaining using 2 mics independently nor using a mixer---what would be the best prosumer avenue to get a zoom stereo effect with 1 mic?
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #6
Major Player

i didnt say there is no good stereo mikes ,i sad there is no such a thing good stereo zoom mike and it is a fact , if you want ,you can invest a few fausends dollars in circuet that will response to your zoom and will change the potensial between the mid and the side of your stereo mike , then talk to me .until then do whatewer you want:-)
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #7
Major Player

you can invest in good mix pre with ms capability, it starts with few handreds and zooooom your mike by hand but then you will have to shoot with one hand only or make it other way :-)
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #8
Outer Circle

I meant stereo zoom mic. I also meant lower-end prosumer, 1 mic and no mixers. I also meant an external shotgun type mic, one that attaches to the cam or tripod. So are there any good stereo mics that are more directional?
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Outer Circle

What's a good/"best" shotgun type non-zoom stereo mic which is somewhere in-between cardioid and supercardioid but more so cardioid which ain't gonna break the bank? :-))
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Trustee

Hi Frank,

you're gonna hate this answer . . . for cheap true stereo: the XL1 mic.

Okay, now were in the inexpensive catagory. I've used the
stereo audio tech X/Y Onepoint ($400) and liked it
as well as the crown SASS ($1K).

In the expensive catagory, the Neumann USM69i . . . yeah baby!
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #11
Major Player

sorry for the late answer but i did work today:-)

dont know cheap solutions
but did worked with at 835st with nice resolts
for football fields and hi urbanic noice shure vp-88 is a wonderfull tool , working well for loud music ( have 3 stages of stereo immeg)
but it quet havy to place on the camera
pear lmikes are wery good for tv works ms -2 cardioid+8 stereo out and ms-10 hiper cardiois -stereo out
sanken cs-9,cs-7,cs-5(shot gun)

if you want spend extra sounfield mikes are heaven
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:42 PM   #12
Major Player

I've been wondering the same thing like Frank but just for a short time as I realized the answer given by Oleg - there is no such thing as a good ZOOM stereo mic!

What Frank wants to know is may be very different from how the pros here are approaching the sound field.

So yes Frank, there are pretty good just stereo mics - AT 822, 825, or the shotgun AT835st. For the later 2 you'll need an XLR adapter box to go to the mini plug on your cam.

Talking of zoom mics my Pana GS100 have such and I've used only once the zoom function (family shooting). I tried to see digging deep for any effectiveness but couldn't. I expected that the distant object (my kid shouting) will become more audible but I was wrong. Just the noise got nasty and attenuation of the neighborhood more distinct and unpleasant.

If you get of camera dedicated zoom stereo mic (Pana and I think Canon and Sony are making such) it might be slightly better than the onboard one that I checked but I doubt much better results. In any case you'll get very little in front of your cam and excessive noise from the surrounding.

Any way just like Frank I wanted to hear the oppinion of somebody who bought the Pana VMH1 hot shoe zoom mic but he didn't give us any clue.

Cheers, Bogdan
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The Sony zoom mic sucks from what I hear. Actually what it does is mix in some of your camera's on-board mic as you are "zoomed" out.

No pros use zoom mics so that must tell you something.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #14
Trustee

You're better off staying with a mono mic, for dialog especially. If stereo was the way to go we wouldn't all have gone to mono. For music and ambient recording stereo is good, but a a much higher level.

You will get more bang for your buck buying a reasonably good mono mic.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Some stereo mics are good. The Sony MS908/907 isn't a bad microphone. It's a stereo microphone with a mini-plug / 1/8" connector for $80. It's a good budget mic for ambience, sound FX, and music.

For a camera mic you probably want something more directional than the MS908. At low budgets it looks like a hypercardioid mic would be a better idea than a shotgun. For comsumer cams without XLR connectors I really don't know. An adapter for XLR-miniplug with phantom power seems awfully expensive, ruling out XLR mics.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio