DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   What XLR Mic Cable do you recommend? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/19689-what-xlr-mic-cable-do-you-recommend.html)

Matt McConnell January 12th, 2004 05:00 PM

What XLR Mic Cable do you recommend?

I realize now that I should have asked this question before buying a mic cable, but I am sure that someone else could benefit from this topic.

I have read alot of suggestions that go something like this. "Don't waste your time and money on a cheap mic cable". But I have not seen any suggestions on what cables are "good" and more specifically, who are these known "cheap" cables that we should steer clear of?

FYI, I bought a 30' ProCo Ameriquad Mic cable from B&H. No trouble yet, but I am a beginner.

Matt Gettemeier January 12th, 2004 05:24 PM

I don't know what everybody else will say but I bought all my mic cables from filmtools.com

They sell the highest grade of xlr that Canare offers. Other companies may also offer these same cables, just make sure they are the L-4e6s if you want the fattest... and I personally like the Neutrik brand connectors.

As far as spending a rediculous amount on cables, I'm not a big proponent of that... a lot of times hollywood studios spend less on stuff used for 100 million dollar movies then we do.

If there's a big price difference then don't get fooled into paying a premium for things like special cables.

Save that cash for a better mic.

I'm not a pro and I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the Ameriquads... I'm sure they're great and hopefully the price is in line with Canare.

Bryan Beasleigh January 12th, 2004 07:07 PM

We have a great site here and an active forum but what we don't have is a resident guru like Jay Rose. Go over to dv.com and run a search or buy Jays Book. Jay goes into detail and depth on the why's and wherefores of mic cable.

It sounds as though you've bought the premium starquad equivilent cable that he recommends

Mike Rehmus January 12th, 2004 07:42 PM

The absolutely least expensive way is to build your own.

Markertek will build custom cables for a very reasonable price.

You can get gold connectors with black shells, Quadstar cable, colored cable and a number of other options.

The 10 dollar 20 foot specials at the local guitar showcase are probably not going to last too long.

But, as everyone has said, you can pay to much. MonsterCable, for example, want about $100 for a 20 foot cable IIRC. I was stunned but not so badly that I purchased that brand.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 12th, 2004 09:47 PM

Canare, Mogami, are great cables. Monster is a bit of a stretch, but it's a good cable. For what the camera/converter is capable of, you won't really notice a difference in audio quality from a mid level cable like Horizon or Rapco, from a top quality oxy-free cable like Mogami or Canare. But, the Canare, Mogami, and Monster all will coil better, which means they last longer and are easier to manage. Make sure you have a good cable end, no tin foil or cheap castings. No molded rubber ends, either.
If you are on a budget, Horizon, Whirlwind, and Rapco are all very good 'off the shelf' cables and will last for many, many years. Lifetime guarantee on the Horizons and Rapcos.

Marco Leavitt January 12th, 2004 11:52 PM

Jeez. I don't think cables have to cost a mint. Look for Neutrik conncectors. I use Audio Technica cables and they've proved rugged and reliable -- and affordable.

John Hartney January 13th, 2004 03:23 PM

I agree with the above post on Canare and Mogami.

They're worth the price, coil easily, and will give you excellent service.

Everyone here knows how to over/under coil, si?