Are parabolic microphones actually useable and worthwhile on a DVX-100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Are parabolic microphones actually useable and worthwhile on a DVX-100?

Hi,

I need to shoot lively conversations in a crowd on a regular basis for a daily program. Wireless and booms are no options in this location. Would a parabolic microphone be useful? And which brand is best?

Cheers,

Joep, from Amsterdam.
Joep Bannenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #2
Major Player

YEAH, where the hack do you buy one of these GIGANTIC babies any way? Love to tot one around just to scare people.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #3
Major Player

You won't be able to isolate your talent from the surrounding noise. Also, Parbolic dishes are subject to thier own set of audio problems and are seldom used for dialog. I used them once on a documentary in a classroom with the teacher mic'd wireless and an audio operator following students interactoins with the parabolic dish and a tuned mic. The shift in quality was unacceptable.

Parabolic dishes are mostly used to pickup grunts at sports events as background.

could you give us more details of the setting and source?
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:15 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi John and Law,

Thanks for the feedback.
I am planning a daily program where people in a diner passionately discuss the morning newspapers. Like a crowd standing around a couple of people sitting at a table, discussing the daily ethnic news concerning them selves.
Doing it on 2 camera's, I don't have the space to fit to boom people in as well. And wiring does not work since the people walk in and out.
So how bad is this sound on parabolics? I mean a rough edge could fit the scene.

Cheers

Joep
Joep Bannenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hanging Mics

What about hanging a couple of cardioids, or one omni, over their heads?
Martin Garrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio