DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless (or possibly wired) Lavalier suggestion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/197821-wireless-possibly-wired-lavalier-suggestion.html)

Jason McCormy April 14th, 2009 05:06 PM

Wireless (or possibly wired) Lavalier suggestion

Greetings all sage Audio experts, I come with yet another question. Thank you in advance for your advice and recomendations.

I am currently using 3 (an A, B, and C) Sennheiser G2 units with the stock MKE2 microphone. I'm micing people indoors and out and it works pretty well. But, I'm interested in upgrading the microphone.

I understand one can purchase mics, such as the Countryman B6, but how to I get them to attach to the transmitter?

Also, can I use a mic like this both wired and wirelessly with my G2's?

And lastly, of the aftermarket mics that plug into the G2's, which ones do you recomend the most? And do any of these have a good ability to filter out constant rumbling noise and other ambient stuff when I can't fully control the audio environment?

Thank you again for any help you can give me.

Don Bloom April 14th, 2009 05:16 PM

most mic companies can put the proper connector, for your system, on the mic. For example, I use Audio Technica 1821 receiver with 2 body paks and Countryman EMW mics. My supplier simply got the correct mic connection from Countryman. Plug it in and go.
If you are buying from a big house like B&H simply explore the on line catalouge or call them and tell them which mic you want for the system you have and they'll ship the mic with the correct connection.
As for reducing noise from the mic,depends on the mic you use and how the audio is set up. Not just the transmitters and receiver but also the camera. If you use AGC you can pretty much count on some lower end noise so you either need to use manual mode or some sort of noise reduction in post. What I'm getting at is you need to figure out where the noise is coming from but the right mic can eliminate some of the exteranious noise from around the person wearing the mic.

Mark Boyer April 14th, 2009 10:26 PM

Jason, you mentioned a "C" band Sennheiser G2 unit. Are you aware that you soon will no longer be able to use a "C" band wireless Sennheiser unit? Sennheiser has a rebate trade in program for the units.

Steve House April 15th, 2009 03:21 AM

For a mic to be used either wired or wireless, you put togther a breakaway arrangment. You wire the cable connector for you wireless to the mic cable. Then you get an XLR adapter/phantom supply that has a jack that accepts your cable plug or with a female jack to it. Ambient makes an adapter they call the Eumel that you can get with jacks for a variety of wireless mics.

Hanno di Rosa April 15th, 2009 03:28 AM

Here is an excellent test :

Audio In Close Up - Which Lavalier Should I Use?"

it covers models which I had not heard of before and is IMO the best test on the subject.

Jason McCormy April 15th, 2009 06:40 AM

Your kidding! I won't be able to use the C? Great, this is the band that I have the phantom powered XLR adapter for my boom. This really stinks.

I'll go to there website and see. That phantom power unit was about 900 dollars. If it is of no use, then I am going to curse a bit.

Jason McCormy April 15th, 2009 06:46 AM

I just went to the Sennheiser site. I need the freaking UPC code? Great, I have that hanging around for NONE of my equipment. I bought the set about 4 years ago. Works great. Love it. And it is being nixed.

I hate this freaking digital transfer.

John Willett April 15th, 2009 07:20 AM

There is a new "G" band for the USA which is between the "A" and "B" bands.

To answer the original question - the MKE 2-ew is a very much better mic. than the supplied ME 2 and will plug straight in (will now come as standard with the ew 512 G3 systems).

To protect from wind - use a Rycote Undercover, Overcover or Lavalier Windjammer.

I hope this helps.

Rick Reineke April 15th, 2009 09:27 AM

"no longer be able to use a "C" band wireless Sennheiser unit"
"no longer be able to -- LEGALLY-- use a "C" band wireless Sennheiser unit".

Mark Boyer April 15th, 2009 10:11 AM

The UPC code is for a new unit you would need to purchase to replace the older "C" units.

More info from the Lectrosoincs Website:

The sky is not falling (remember Y2K?). Wireless mics in the UHF band will not be rendered useless within the next few years. Existing and foreseeable-future wireless mics, particularly those made by Lectrosonics, will be fully operational for years to come. Yes – there may be some challenges but mostly it will be about learning and adapting to the new RF spectrum.
Although the FCC requires the 700MHz band to be "vacated' as of June 2009, it is unrealistic to expect that all users of low-powered devices (wireless mics) will stop using their current systems. It is very likely that most wireless mic users in this range will continue to operate illegally for some time. Licensed, legal, part 74 users such as broadcast stations will have to cease operation in the 700 MHz band. Manufacturers of part 74 devices will have to cease manufacturing, importing, or even shipping units that operate in the 700 MHz band. Commercial development of this band will begin in the large metro areras first, then work its way out to the further reaches of the country, the same way that cellular coverage did in the 1990s.

No one currently knows what will happen in the 470 to 700 MHz range. If and when the consumer "white space devices" hit the market (probably starting at the end of 2009 or later), the UHF band will be similar in terms of congestion to the way the 2.4 GHz band already is today. In other words, it will be workable with proper planning, good system components and good system design.

Jason McCormy April 15th, 2009 04:52 PM

Thank you. I am back from the ledge. It sounds like I'll just need to take better care finding an open freequency with it. I was tired this morning and I thought it meant that they would all be filled. Sort of gabe me a heart palpatation.

How does the MKE 2ew compare with the mics from Countryman and the other after markets in that price range?

Shaun Roemich April 15th, 2009 08:59 PM

I can't help but find myself wondering if the discussion most of us are having (whether internally or externally) about whether we are likely to get "caught" (either legally or logistically) using the 700 MHz band is going to be the next "fair use of copywritten songs" discussion following June 2009.

Much like including your favourite Celiné Dion song in your next event video, using the 700MHz band is going to be illegal (some would suggest that as unlicensed users ALL of us are already using our wireless systems illegally, myself included...) very shortly. Do so at your own risk.

Steve House April 16th, 2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1097932)
I can't help but find myself wondering if the discussion most of us are having (whether internally or externally) about whether we are likely to get "caught" (either legally or logistically) using the 700 MHz band is going to be the next "fair use of copywritten songs" discussion following June 2009.

Much like including your favourite Celiné Dion song in your next event video, using the 700MHz band is going to be illegal (some would suggest that as unlicensed users ALL of us are already using our wireless systems illegally, myself included...) very shortly. Do so at your own risk.

I doubt it. I suppose with the rare exception of illegal operation interfering with a licensed public safety user, no one is harmed by what is "illegal" in that it violates an essentially abitrary beaurocratic regulation. On the other hand, violation of music copyyright (and other media copyrights for that matter) does harm our fellow creative professionals in that it unfairly deprives them of income they are entitled to.

Mark Boyer April 16th, 2009 01:18 PM

I depends on who aquires the 700 mhz band. Here in the states we have the software police that checks companies software license and are authorized to levy fines and confiscate all equipment in violation. The only reason I mention this is that Microsoft has made inquires into purchase of the 700mhz band for a new wireless technology they are developing. If you are in a active area and interfering with the channel you could be in trouble.

Steve House April 16th, 2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Boyer (Post 1100749)
I depends on who aquires the 700 mhz band. Here in the states we have the software police that checks companies software license and are authorized to levy fines and confiscate all equipment in violation. The only reason I mention this is that Microsoft has made inquires into purchase of the 700mhz band for a new wireless technology they are developing. If you are in a active area and interfering with the channel you could be in trouble.

Good point. My general impression though, as it all shakes out, is that the wireless user is going have an increasingly difficult time finding a frequency to operate on where he won't be interfered with than he is finding a frequency where he won't interfere with a new user of the band. The low power wireless mics operate at isn't going to propagate far enough to present too much of a problem to other users who aren't in the same room. Yes, operation will be illegal but most users with current gear are going to fly under the radar and no one will be the wiser. Making it illegal forces non-complying gear off the market in the regular retail market channels and perhaps will help keep unscrupulous sellers from unloading gear that is having issues avoiding interference on ususpecting buyers in the individual resale (ie, such as eBay) markets. I see no reason to trash gear you might presently own, it's just going to be hard to add to it if it's in the now illegal bands.