DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   A Simple (?) Microphone Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/20312-simple-microphone-question.html)

Barry Rivadue January 24th, 2004 02:24 PM

A Simple (?) Microphone Question

Are there handheld wired microphones that have XLR connections? Sometimes when I'm off camera asking questions my voice isn't picked up too well by a shotgun on a boom. I like the idea of having my own "personal mike" that can readily be heard wherever I'm standing. Something inexpensive, preferably, if the overall question is a valid one.

Bryan Beasleigh January 24th, 2004 04:16 PM

There are herds of them and they are available mostly as dynamics although there are some condenser handhelds. A very inexpensive model that's tuned for voice is the AKG D230. It's also a little higher output than some due to it's Neodymium Magnet . The ND magnet will give you an extra 5 db which isn't really that much.

I'm sure everyone has their own favorite dynamic. They are available omni , cardoid or hypercardoid. Most people use the omni .

They're fairly inexpensive but they are very low output. It would depend on what camera you were feeding.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=128222&is=REG

ElectroVoice is a popular brand and comes standard for $100 or $120 for a Neodymium model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=76669&is=REG

Barry Rivadue January 24th, 2004 05:52 PM

Thanks for the info; this would be exclusively for a DVX100. I'm quite curious about which microphone for this purpose people end up preferring!

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 24th, 2004 06:15 PM

To use Bryan's word, there are 'herds' of preferred stick-type mics.
On the low end, you can't go wrong with a Shure SM58, simply because it's the hammer of the industry, used by hundreds. It's been around a long, long time, and sounds good.
Then there are higher end, more tight patterns, higher signal level, slimmer, fatter, blacker, greyer, silver-er mics as well. I happen to be an Audio Technica fan, AKG makes good mics, EV does too. Then you can start sailing higher in cost, but without a lot of return for a handheld, and get into BK, Sennheiser, and others.
For inexpensive, look at the Shure 58. About a hundred bucks most places, and you have to work hard to damage one.

Barry Rivadue January 24th, 2004 06:35 PM

Thanks! I'm glad some items don't always have to be high end. :)

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 02:36 AM

What will the ambience/background to your voice be?
Silence? Music?

Barry Rivadue January 26th, 2004 09:02 AM

Probably silence; mostly interviews in private homes.

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 05:37 PM

Barry,
Read this.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ndheld+dynamic

Barry Rivadue January 26th, 2004 05:59 PM

Done. :)

Here's a question, though--what wired microphone as this would be more suited for recording instrumental music? I may interview the occasional musician who would play something up close, and I wonder if placing a microphone as this nearby would be an incredibly clever idea.

Dave Largent January 26th, 2004 06:59 PM

I don't exactly understand your last question,
but there was a reason why I asked you about
"ambience".
The AKG D230 does not do well around music. It
is specifically tuned for spoken word; music does
not sound very good captured with the AKG.
Like I said, I don't quite understand your
last question. Do you need a dynamic that's
alright with music?

Barry Rivadue January 26th, 2004 07:57 PM

What I want to know is--if I want a purely musical recording from a single wired microphone, would a dynamic make sense? What about a condenser? I know very little of the terminology at the moment, but I would assume a music-biased microphone for one or two instruments would have different characteristics than a purely vocal biased one.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 26th, 2004 08:11 PM

The answer to all your questions above are "Yes." or "No."
This is why specific mics are often chosen for specific instruments. Condensers usually are used for extreme dynamics, or for very subtle instruments, where dynamics are used for broader frequency ranged instruments.
Again, if you are looking for a broad-use microphone, avoid the mic's specifically aimed at one sort of use or another. Wide-range mic's are generally cheaper, because of the lack of specifics.
For example, the SM58, while being made for anything in particular with a focus on voice, is used for instruments all the time. In fact, if you pull off the ball windscreen, you then have an SM57, one of the most popular snare and acoustic guitar mics ever made.
the more specific the application, the more mics available, the more the cost (generally) and the more opinions you'll run into. Mic's have very specific personalities. For classical acoustic guitar, I'll use the BK 4011's. For steel strung work for scoring, I'll use the AT4033. For a solo acoustic where I need rich and thick body with cutting treble, I'll use a 4050. There's about 3K in mics for one instrument right there.
For most interview work where a stick mic is called for, I really like the AE 5400. Low cost, dynamite curve, and very, very roadworthy. The AE 6100 is a hypercardiod, so a little tight for much video work, but an AWESOME live stage mic. We've used these all over the world, and love them. But as I say, they're a little tight in the pattern for most vid work.

Barry Rivadue January 26th, 2004 08:32 PM

Fascinating stuff.

Now for another thought--would it be complicating my life too much if I find myself wanting to place microphones everywhere if there's a group of varied instruments? Or would one more or less do an acceptable job if necessary, given certain limitations? I also have seen people post here about their experiences recording, say, something specialized--such as a choir. I know it's best to develop a traveling arsenal of mikes etc. for handling a given situation, if one is going to do something with distinction. For the most part though I'm dealing as a solo operator here.