Production Audio Qs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Production Audio Qs

I'm shooting a mostly interview based documentary with a GL-2. I just bought an AT897 shotgun (which i'm mounting on the camera), and the sign video xlr-pro.

my question is, how do i put this equipment to use? i'm hoping maybe some of you could break down the steps you take to capture good audio, from set up, through shooting.

this much i know: how to attach the xlr adaptor, mic and shockmount, and how to cable them together (duh). i've set the audio rec level to manual. now what?

the Qs that come to mind are: xlr adaptor set to stereo or mono? do i need to make in camera mic adjustments, and if so what kind of adjustments. does "riding the gain" mean fiddling with the levels on the xlr adaptor, or on the camera? should i be using the roll off switch on the mic?

if anyone is willing to walk me through some basic steps to get rolling with audio, it would be a huge help.

thanks in advance,
phb
Paul Bravmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #2
Trustee

You probably want to post this in the GL2 forum because you're asking about the menu options on the camera.

In short, definately record 16-bit - not 12-bit. You'll have audio/video sync problems if you do. Also, sample rate should be 48k - not 44k (48k is for video applications and 44k is for CD's - not the same thing)

If you can go XLR - that's best because it's balenced. If you are converting make sure you are doing it right. If the end of the cord (the part you actually plug in to the camera or deck) has ONE black strip around it - it's mono - if it has TWO - it's stereo.

Make sense?

Murph
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM   #3

First, I'd recommend mono for most interview and straight work. stereo only brings headaches during processing, and if it's a single source, re; interview, then mono is best during the editing stage. Less confusing for the ear and eye.
If it's an interview, absolutely roll off the low end, it will clean up the audio.
16 bit 48K is the DV standard. 32K is silly, and shouldn't even be found on better cameras.
You've already got the cabling down, so on the camera, learn to set the input levels so you are approximately 3dB down at the PEAKS of audio. Average will be around -18dB down from zero. Hitting zero means you'll lose audio, and never be able to recover the lost bits. Setting this level too low means you lose resolution.
You don't want to be 'riding the gain' as that's a silly thing to have to do, and especially w/digital, it's a foolish thing to do. Set a level for production, learn it during quick sound checks, monitor during record, and process it in post if necessary. Worst thing to have is lots of levels floating around, and that's what 'riding the gain' does, create lots of levels.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Major Player

As far as setting the XLR adapter to Mono or Stereo:

1) If you are only using one mic and you want to get the sound on the Right and Left channel, you must set it to MONO

2) If you are using two mics and would like to record one mic on the right channel and one on the left, set it to STEREO

3) If you are using two mics and would like to get a mix of both mics onto both channels, set it to MONO.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio