Wireless Receiver using Powered-XLR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 30th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Wireless Receiver using Powered-XLR?

Well, got one of those dedicated 9v battery charger, seems to work good, charges in two hours, up to 10 at a time. I tried 4 at a time so far, works.

My Samson UHF Micro32 diversity receiver use one up in two hours (the transmitter longer, closer to 4 hours), perhaps because the receiver actually has two receiving units?

But it just occured to me that since they are used primary thru the XLR connector, why don't they make it use the XLR 48v power? Voltage a little high, but I am sure they could step it down.

Does any other small receivers out there use the XLR power?

Is the XLR power constant at 48v or does it vary with the situation?

Had a receiver went out on me during one event, unlike the small Airline Micro series which uses a single AAA, but last 8+ hours. Of course the output is pitiful, which is why I typically don't use it.

Nice to have a receiver with power that does not go out, unless of course the camera runs out of battery also.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I see in your profile that you use the Sony DSR-250. If true, you can use the Lectrosonics PS-12 cable (or the PS-212 for two receivers) to power the receiver through the 4 pin HIROSE power output located at the back of the camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=212167&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=283248&is=REG

If however you are not using this camera, but you have a seperate battery pack like a vest or belt for lighting etc. and it uses either a 4 pin XLR or a Cigarette Lighter connector you can use the NRG cable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=66897&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=66898&is=REG

BTW: The above is also true for the Lectro and Audio Technica 100 ser receivers
Marty Wein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey, thanks.

I wonder if the cable steps the voltage down to 9v or 12v. The Samson manual said the DC-in is 6v to 13v. Does not look like it has any kind of circuit.

Guess I can use an XLR splitter to use the audio-input as well as the power from the same outlet.

Samson also said in the manual the NiMH is supposed to last 8 hours for the receiver, I guess that is why it does not even try to use the XLR power. Problem is that in reality, it last only TWO hours.

Those lying cheating #@(*$#@(*$...
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Major Player

The cable does not step it up or down. The output of the camera is 12v. This is how all pros are doing it.

The Samson reciever will work fine with any DC in as long as it is not above 13v or below 6v.

I am not so shure about the XLR splitting....
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks again.

Kind of funny, because on my DSR-250, the XLR power is said to be +48v. The 3 settings are "line-in", "mic-in", and "mic-in plus 48v power".

There is a single 12v output at the back, but it has some kind of funky looking four-pin-in-square-arrangement type connector.

There is also a 4-pint XLR-looking 12v input into the camera.
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Major Player

The Funky Looking connector is the 4-pin Hirose I mentioned before and to use that, you will need the Lectrosonics PS-12.

I would check with somebody who is more technical about the +48v on the XLR's. I don't think it will work.

For $35 I would go for something that will work, instead of messing around with a custom cable that will either not work or worse, ruin your receiver.
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #7
Major Player

BTW: Check out the link below where you will learn a bit more about +48v Phantom Power.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/p...r_connect.html
Old January 30th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #8
Major Player

THANKS!

I read your original post too fast.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio