mini-to-xlr Y-cable - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 4th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Great advice everybody, the Switchcraft looks like a keeper. My only concern now is the actual wiring. I've looked on the internet for wiring instructions. Here's what I understand so far...

Both XLR's #3 pin will be connected to the mini plug's base (black wire).

XLR-1 #2 pin connected to the mini plug's ring (red wire).

XLR-2 #2 pin connected to the mini plug's tip (red wire).

Both XLR's #1 pin reserved for ground (shielding wire). Would it be appropriate to ground these wires to the camcorder?

I'm also concerned with how much wire will squeeze into the little 3.5mm jack. It seems as through two XLR cables might be a little much. Any suggestions here? Am I even on the right track?
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #17
Trustee

I have all kinds of soldering gear but it's easier to buy a hosatech for $15 and do the keeper when your sure about cable length etc. The stuff works fine, it's just not pretty.

For wiring go to dvplay.com
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 12:08 PM   #18
New Boot

I had a somewhat related question. I have a GL2, just bought a NT3. I'm having a hell of a time finding a way to use a low to high impedence transformer and yet have a decent quality cable with a right angle 1/8

*edit*
I did find this
http://www.broadcastrepair.com/sales/show.asp?subcat2=10&lbl=XLR-1%2F8%22
"Cable, 3pin XLR Female To 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Right Angle Mini Plug, For Palm-Size Camera Mic In, With DC Blocking Capacitors, 10 ft. "
....but I would still be missing low to high impedence transformer
Anthony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
I'm also concerned with how much wire will squeeze into the little 3.5mm jack.
If you're going to make your own cable, do all the soldering in the XLR barrel. You can get ones that you can open up, although it's somewhat expensive. You might as well try the Hosa cable first considering the effort you would have to expend making your own cable.

Quote:
It seems as through two XLR cables might be a little much. Any suggestions here? Am I even on the right track?
You could always cut it off. ~$30 for 2 cables is only a bit more expensive that buying parts for 2 cables (one with 1 XLR, one with 2 XLR). However, you get a slight advantage to making your own cable in that you can split one XLR onto both channels and record one lower than the other (for redundancy and for extra safety against clipping).

For wiring, the dv.com articles by Jay Rose (the pads and minidisc articles) are different from the dplay.com instructions (the dplay ones can't be printed).

Quote:
I had a somewhat related question. I have a GL2, just bought a NT3. I'm having a hell of a time finding a way to use a low to high impedence transformer and yet have a decent quality cable with a right angle 1/8
Jay's articles on dv.com have lots of information on that (see the DV camera audio article too [that's not the exact title]). I don't think you need a low to high impedence transformer. Jay has written an article on ohm's law and impedences, but you don't really need to read it. His article on making the right cable doesn't mention that you need to match impedences.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #20
Trustee

Unbalanced for short runs will work in most instances.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #21
Trustee

I just ordered the two-XLR-to-3.5mm-stereo from B&H.
I previously had tried a Radio Shack splitter (2-mono-to-1-stereo) but it didn't work out -- noticed a
hum in the audio from a Sennheiser mic. I thought this
might be because of the DC plug-in powering of the VX.
Or maybe it was just a cheap RS splitter. If the
Y-splitter I ordered doesn't do the trick, I'll go with
a cable that has a DC-blocking capacitor.
Curiously, I notice that Beas has not had any trouble with the
VX plug-in power.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio