Voiceover mic for under $300; looking at Rode? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 18th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #16
Major Player

John, the D230 is $118 plus $8-$9 shipping from Adorama. That's the best total price I've found on that mic.

Standard price on an Nt1a is $200 anywhere you look. I don't think you'll beat that price.

It's up to you, but I got an Nt1000 and in my opinion it's a pretty nice mic. It reminds me enough of the NTK that I don't expect to get another NTK... coming from me that's a huge compliment. The Nt1000 does NOT come with a shockmount however and it IS an extra hundred bucks. In my use the nt1000 has even less handling noise then the Nt3 did though. I've used the Nt1000 handheld several times now. Obviously that's a goofy thing to do with a studio mic, but the point is... it works. I'm now carrying an Nt1000 in my bag all the time.

If you get an Nt1a I'll bet you'll fall in love with it. I have a little conspiracy theory that Rode makes the Nt1a so good because it hooks customers for life. Considering the price and included shockmount I think the Nt1a is a bargain.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Matt

Yeah, from the samples I've heard the NT1A seems to be the best value for my money. And yeah, it looks like the standard price for the NT1A is around $199 -- which is why knowing the shipping cost is important to me. Some places will jack up the shipping on ya... Beyond that, I'm just looking for a reputable seller (dvinfo's sponsors either don't carry it or don't have it in stock, and I can't get the new manager at my local haunt to call me back)

Have you had happy buying experiences from Adorama?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #18
Trustee

I've had good luck with zZounds.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RODNT1A
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #19
Major Player

John, I've never bought anything from Adorama. I've bought from Henry's, B&H, J and R, Guitar Center, Trew Audio, Location Sound, and Coffey.

I've always tried to buy from dvinfo sponsors first. It just depends on whether or not they carry what I need.

Of the other places I've shopped. I haven't had any bad experiences.

FYI, if you have a GC close by their normal price is $199 also (nt1a)... also it's a good idea to watch GC for unexpected bargains.

I have a guy down there that I can call and ask about special, unadvertised deals... and I've found some whoppers like that.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #20
Major Player

Finally spoke to my local guy... according to him, Rode says the NT1A is on backorder and will be at *least* a week to get. Zzounds swears they have it right now. Hmmm... support the locals and wait a week or two (for something I wanted a week ago) or go with the online folks and get it by Monday?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Both the RODE NT1 and the NT1A are great voice over mics.. I like them.. good quality sound.. (low price)..
gerez@bellsouth.net

---
PC Based editor: Adobe Premier Pro, Canopus DV Storm Pro. SONY VX2000, Panasonic DVX100a

George Gerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #22
Boss Hog

You might also consider the Audio-Technica AT3035. A great sounding afffordable side address condenser that includes shock mount!
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM   #23
Major Player

Got the NT1-A yesterday -- my local shop finally came through... Did some tests with it last night, hope to give it a good workout this weekend, I think I'm going to be happy with this one. I'll post my opinions of it here after I've spent some time with it.

Thanks to everybody -- especially Bryan for his audio samples -- for all of your help!
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio