A good stereo mic for PDX10? AT825? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 13th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #16

I did a review for the DMN on the 835ST a while back. It's a great mic. Don Davis, a well known voice over artist uses one for all his voice over work, he does a lot of work for McDonalds, Disney, Six Flags, Jimmy Dean, Sarah Lee, and other big name companies. Does them out of his home studio these days.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #17
Outer Circle

Thanks. Is it directional at all, or does it pick up from the rear?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #18
Trustee

Frank here are some interesting links

ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tfor..._&_AT815ST.txt

ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/tfor...tereo_Mics.txt

Have a peek at the AT spec sheet. the polar patterns in the bottom of the page will give you the rejection at the sides and rear. It actually looks preetty good. For more detailed graphs (but harder to read) click on the english spec link at the bottom of the page. that'll get you a PDF file of a more detailed desciption.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #19

Frank, it's quite directional, and rejects well from the rear. In doing the review, I did it at a live shoot for the Broadway show "My Way." Therefore, I did a 'real world' review vs a scientific one. I bought the mic after having seen it being used on a film I was scoring part of for Steven Seagal. It was being used for live capture, and I thought it odd they were using a stereo mic. That's pretty rare. Anyway, it did a great job for me, even though I was using it as a backup in the test. I think there is still a stream of the "My Way" promo at http://www.encoreattractions.com. My web connection is slow in the hotel, so I didn't go there to look.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #20
Trustee

Looks pretty versitile and inexpensive for what it does.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #21
Inner Circle

1- Another option is to get the Ambient Emesser, which can turn your favorite mic into a M/S (mid-side) setup like the Audio Technica stereo shotgun. The AT shotgun is much cheaper though.

http://coffeysound.com/store/ambient.html List price $650USD.

2- I was wondering about the on-board stereo mic because you might be able to use it to record just ambience without moving the camera. However, it's no good if you are handling the camera and it might pick up motor noise, so that's probably a bad idea.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:00 AM   #22
Outer Circle

What's the web company info link to the 835ST?

So would I need an XLR adaptor with the 835ST?
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #23
Inner Circle

http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpr...s/AT835ST.html

"Includes a 24" (0.61 m) cable (5-pin XLRF to two standard 3-pin XLRM connectors) "
Old February 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #24
Trustee

My mistake, I thought i posted the AT link.

At any rate, while it's inexpensive for what it does it's still $570 plus shipping from B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=215893&is=REG
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #25
Outer Circle

Glenn, Bryan, thanks for the links.

Glenn, I read that, "Includes a 24" (0.61 m) cable (5-pin XLRF to two standard 3-pin XLRM connectors)," on those 2 links Bryan posted, but I was wondering if an XLR adaptor is required.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Glenn, I read that, "Includes a 24" (0.61 m) cable (5-pin XLRF to two standard 3-pin XLRM connectors)," on those 2 links Bryan posted, but I was wondering if an XLR adaptor is required.
Adapter to what? XLRM should be XLR Male, which should be the right connector nearly all the time.

If you need to adapt from XLR --> miniplug (mic input) or some other input, I think you need something like a Beachtek. On the AT site it looks like the mic needs phantom power. You'll also need to get levels right and to filter out "mic plug-in" power on most mic inputs. The Beachtek DXA4 (I think that's the model) provides both, and it also helps you get levels right since it volume control built in.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #27
Trustee

The 835St requires 11-52 volt phantom and at the very least would require a beach DXA6 (dual phantom) . The Rode NT4 is a stereo that runs off of a 9 volt onboard battery. It's bigger than the AT and costs about $375US. Dave Largent ( a DVINFO member) uses one.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #28
Outer Circle

Thanks Bryan. That makes this mic's price about $400 bucks higher.
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #29
Outer Circle

Sorry, Glenn. My cams don't have XLRs, and I was looking for a cheap mic solution but with a strong leaning toward stereo or zoom-stereo. So the cost for me would also include an XLR adaptor, aand I see I'll need other extras for this "bare" mic. I guess I'll have to dig deep or go with Bryan's original suggestion with the Apex 191/shock mount. I think I'll be going for the stereo, though, and the new Glenbox or the Beachtek.
Old February 14th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #30
Major Player

Frank
The AT822 is like the AT825. Works on battery and is supplied with a stereo mini cable.
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio