Stereo Miking Techniques (M/S help please!) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
...I have also been lucky to use an AMS Neve digital console for most of my dubbing career and it actually has an M/S control on it for stereo A/B signals so that you can adjust the width of any stereo source in post...
I was reading along in Gary's post, ready to protest "but if you don't actually record your M/S signal, but decode it to L/R, you lose the ability to adjust apparent stereo width in post!", one of the really cool things about M/S technique.

Gary, are you saying here that this particular console can recode L/R back to M/S, adjust width, then matrix back to L/R? I think I've heard of this trick, but if anyone has further details on how to accomplish the de-matrix of L/R back to M/S I'd be very interested to learn more.

This is all assuming an original M/S source...
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Seth,

Take a look at Waves SI - you can change the stereo spread of any A/B stereo track.

There's also a plug in from Brainwerks in Germany that does it (and is cheaper/no dongle)

I think that they effectively transform the A/B tracks into M/S then change the spread, then retransform
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM   #33
Trustee

Yes guys the AMS Neve Logic and DFC digital consoles have two controls on stereo channels that can zoom the image from mono out to 180 degrees, they can also matrix M/S but as I mainly record A/B I just to us the width control to widen or make narrower the stereo image.

I am now on pro tools and I have a free plug in called bx-solo from brainworx that can do the same job on any stereo A/B signal:http://www.brainworx-music.de/index....6&um=2&lang=en

All stereo A/B signals follow the M/S principle of
M=Mono
Left= M-S
Right+ M+S

So if you increase the S content it will widen the stereo image and if you decrease the S signal to zero you will get mono.

The original Dolby pro logic also works on this principle where the signals are as follows:
Left=M-S
Centre=M
Right=M+S
Surround=S (two rear speakers in mono but with filtering applied)

Hope that all makes sense.
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
M=Mono
Actually M = Mid (*not* Mono)

MS = Mid and Sides

But you are correct in saying that L=M+S and R=M-S.

Going the other way:
M=L+R
S=L-R
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Going the other way (dematrix):
M=L+R
S=L-R
Ah, John, thanks for going back to the math. Now I get it! I can set up a dematrix in my NLE next time I get a recording from an M/S mic that has an internal matrix to L/R.
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #36
Inner Circle

OK - found the link to Brainworx Solo. I use Waves SI on my main system but I installed this on my notebook so I don't have to schlep the Waves Dongle around with me.

Take a look - nice plugin for the price (free!)

MS-Mastering Tools by Brainworx-Media
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Take a look - nice plugin for the price (free!)
Personally I use the Voxengo (free) MS plug-in.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #38
Trustee

I've used both my own Rode NT4 X-Y mic and a 'loaned' Sanken CMS-10 phased array mic to record live music and drama events. The Sanken can also be switched into hypercardiod in which mode it is a very capable shotgun. It's an expensive beast, it is quite short as it was built to go on a camera although I've always used it on a stand.

Decoding M/S in post is pretty easy, took me less than 10 minutes to nut out how to build a M/S decoder in Vegas, no plugins required.

What has not been mentioned here at all is any stereo recording technique relies totally on microphone placement. As I've learnt the hard way this is critical. A few inches or a few degrees can make all the difference.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio